Saturday, February 4, 2023

Easy Baby Quilt

Vacation sewing has been going great. Never having done it before, I believe I planned very well by preparing projects at home for simple, straightforward sewing while away. One project is entirely finished and I am enjoying the more involved project without the pressure of another quilt waiting to be worked on.

The Baby Henry quilt is in the flimsy stage now, and it is just as sweet as can be. 

The blocks in this quilt are all from 10" layer cake squares. From each square I cut the following:

  •  one 5-inch square 
  • two rectangles,  5 inches x 2.5 inches
  • two rectangles, 9 inches x 2.5 inches

Basically, the construction involves simply framing the square with the rectangles. Each square finishes at 8.5 inches. This was the easiest, most basic piecing I think I have ever done, and the result is an amply-sized quilt for newborn Henry.

Some people might not care for so much salmon-peach-terra cotta colors for a boy quilt, but I tried interspersing all the other colors evenly so as to minimize any 'girly' look it might have. I used the entire layer cake, and this line had these colors. To read more about the details of the layer cake, click back here.

This photo shows the entire layout, and how simple it looks. Perfect for a baby quilt. I will get this quilted when I get back home and then delivered to baby Henry asap.

Vacation continues to be enjoyable, sunny and fun. We have become shuffleboard players and have gotten back into the habit of daily walking. 

Happy Quilting, Friends!




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a perfect vacation, sewing an easy project and still have time to do other activities!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!