Monday, February 6, 2023

Slow Stitching Hexies

Thank goodness for hand-stitching projects. It has been lots of fun making more hexie flowers for a someday Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt.

Before we began our current Florida adventure, I had three hexie flowers in need of their final outer circles of color. The one you see above was finished while on the road, as was the one below.

This gives the impression that I am leaning toward a primarily pink flower garden, but if you check the stack of finished flowers that can be seen in both pictures, I do have other colors, as well. This flower garden will have all the colors - someday.

Here is the one I just finished. I had to improvise with the outer surround, as I lacked two hexagons in the desired fabric. Since I wanted it finished rather than perfect, I selected two almost-right hexies and proceeded to finish it off. 

I am reminded that this is what our grandmother's did - they "made do" with near-matching bits to complete their quilts. Someday, when this quilt is finished, perhaps someone will look at this particular flower and wonder what the maker was thinking when she used those two non-matching bits. Will the thought occur to them that I was just using what I had?

I am joining the party over at Kathy's Quilts - her weekly Slow Sunday Stitching party always offers up so much inspiration.  I see that our hostess is cross stitching, and several others are doing hexie quilts similar to mine. Hope you'll pop on over to have a look-see.

I now need to prep more hexies. All the partial flowers are finished, so we get to create new ones next!

Happy Quilting, Friends!




1 comment:

  1. Hexies are always fun to do; even more so when relaxing on a holiday. Your sweet hexie flowers will make a beautiful Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt one day.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!