Monday, May 10, 2010

Porch Beautification Project

I have a lovely screened-in porch which is a very inviting place on breezy afternoons. We have pleasant songbirds who provide just the right amount of accompaniment; the woods which surround us offers up wonderful rustling leaves. It's an all-around idyllic setting, if I do say so myself.

But, every couple of years the cushions and pillows need to be updated. Sunshine and weather conditions can take their toll on the crispness and color. I have been to the stores checking out potential options. I'm not really liking what I'm seeing out there. And the prices I've seen on these less-than-exciting possibilities are beyond what I feel like paying.

Soooo...

I think I will make slipcovers for the cushions I already have. I did that the last time I redid the porch, which was the summer of 2008. I found some fabulous sturdy fabric in the remnant area of Jo-ann Fabrics in Chillicothe. It was 54" wide, and a scrumptious shade of yellow with a light blue flower motif. The remnant had enough fabric to cover a settee cushion, a chair cushion, a bench pad and to make a tablecloth! It all looked great, and I wish I had a picture of it to show. Alas, I do not. All I've got is a naked porch in need of some bling!

The aforementioned settee, chair, bench and table minus their finery. They look so bare! I am looking for enough fabric this time to also make some chair pads for the chairs that go with the table.

I need to get in gear! Some nice days will surely be here soon, and it'd be nice to be ready for them! A big glass of iced tea, a hefty summer read, the ceiling fan circulating all the fresh air, the fountains peacefully trickling water -- want to join me?

1 comment:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!