Friday, August 10, 2012

Playing

Admit it - you've played in your fabric, right? That is what I've been doing, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. While I've played, I've also sorted and organized a bit, so it was productive and fun all at the same time.

One thing I do wayyyyy too much is look at pictures of quilts on Pinterest. I find that there are several that I am really crazy about, so I thought why not just go to the stash and see if I can find similar colors to recreate those quilts that seem to always captivate me. Let me show you what I mean.


This pic from Pinterest was taken at the Sisters Outdoor quilt show and was featured on the blog Humble Quilts. I just love the shade of blue used in this along with the varying tones of beige. So, I rooted around in my stash and came up with a start towards a group for recreating this. Here's what I've come up with so far.


That blue was irresistible when I bought it, and it's still irresistible, as far as I'm concerned. So I need to use it! This will be a start for a fabric grouping. I will snoop around in my neutrals bin to see what other shades of beige I can add to it. I think a darker brown will be necessary, too.

Here's another one. I have recently been seeing a lot of gray and cheddar quilt combinations. So much so that I've gotten the urge to make one!


This one is a beautiful example of those two simple colors. Here are two fabrics I found in my stash that might work to create something similar.


In addition to copying the two quilts above, I've pulled the following combinations that seem to have some potential. I now need to decide on quilt patterns.

red, black and white

dark paisley, teal and red

light blue paisley and brown
Can you tell I have a thing for paisley? I doubt there's ever been a paisley I haven't liked. I really have to exercise restraint at times. I want them all! Well, anyway, these are some of the fabrics I pulled this week, and hopefully I will be coming up with some inspired ideas for quilts.

One final note. Remember about a month or so ago when I asked for help with a certain pretty floral with an odd blue color for a background? In all this recent stash-diving, I found some alternative fabrics. This is the combination I am currently favoring.


I have had fun playing in the fabric. It is an activity I highly recommend to while away an afternoon.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!