Thursday, November 7, 2013

Repurposing

A big trend the past few years has been to repurpose rather than discard old or unused items. I see lots of fun and intriguing ideas on Pinterest, and on other sites across the World Wide Web. I'm sure you've seen them, too.

While cleaning out a pile of "stuff," I came across this old sweater, and decided to repurpose it rather than throw it in the garbage can.


This was purchased for either Erin or Emma as a Christmas gift from Maurice's about 10 years ago, I would guess. Whichever one it was, she wore it once, maybe twice. Once it found it's way into the laundry, that was the end. It was 'dry clean only,' and I never followed through.

Yesterday, I made it into 3 new items which I think will be used.



 A pair of mittens was my first effort. These are by no means perfect, but they will be toasty when the winter winds begin blowing.


From the sleeves, I made these leg warmers/boot socks which will go to DD Emma. She gave me the thumbs up when I asked her if she was interested. Since she isn't here to try them on, I will probably have to do a bit more adjusting - i.e. cutting down. I erred on the side of being too big, just in case.


The neckline was just too appealing to discard, so I cut below the button and rounded up to the seam that joined the neckline. I will wear this with my winter coat as a scarf/neck warmer. I zigzagged around the raw edges, and while they aren't pretty, they will be hidden inside the coat; only the nice collar will be showing.


This scrap is all that's left of the sweater. I am going to hang on to it for awhile, as it seems like I ought to be able to use it for something. Any ideas, anyone??

Happy Quilting, Friends!

3 comments:

  1. Wow... I'm impressed by your clever repurposing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very clever of you. I specially like the idea for the collar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good ideas for this. as for the piece left, it is hard to tell how big it is. what about little knit squares that you cut about 4inch or so and line them with fabric. stuffed with rice they can make nice little handwarmers that you toss into the microwave and place in your mittens.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!