Wednesday, May 6, 2015

First Sale

I'm selling a quilt. Gasp! I know. I would sooner sell one of my children as to sell a quilt, but I've had to come to grips with reality: I can't possibly afford to have all these quilts quilted, and it makes no sense whatsoever to keep them folded over hangers in the closet, where no one gets any enjoyment from them - ever.

You may have noticed that I've added a tab at the top of my blog page that says "Quilts I'm Selling." That was a giant step for me to take. I just added it about a week ago. I am still loading pictures and descriptions, and one quilt has already been sold. Let's see it.

I've always referred to this quilt as Pseudo-Toile. I didn't have the toile that was suggested in the pattern instructions for the plain block. Instead I used a fabric that had the look of toile, but was actually just a regular print fabric. It worked, as far as I'm concerned.

Since I have a buyer for it, I need to get a backing prepped for it. I have been digging through fabric bins all morning, and have finally come to a combination I like. This is a big quilt, and I had no large single piece of fabric that would work. I knew I would have to piece a backing. Here are the finalists.

This border print is sufficiently neutral to play well with the front. My 9-patches are scrappy, so the colors will be fine.

This dark navy print has just the tiniest of neutral flecks in it. I definitely liked that the navy from the quilt top worked well with this piece.

My decision is to use the navy down the center of the quilt, flanked on each side by the border print. Yes, that suits me just fine. I will go ahead with the backing prep and get this off to Terry's ASAP. Then my first sale will be completed. Whoa, what a step I am taking.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!