Friday, September 29, 2017

Two UFOs Finished

Please join me in celebrating the completion of not just one UFO, but (drumroll, please) TWO!!


Not only did I finish the September UFO - Farmer's Wife Quilt, I finally finished June's UFO - Flag Day Farm. Wow. For me this is huge. They've been weighing on me not just this month, but for years. I suppose I bought that center panel of Flag Day Farm a full 10 years ago, if not more. And I began making Farmer's Wife blocks when that book was published in 2009.

Whew. Let's have a look. Both quilts are square, which I normally do not prefer, but that's what worked, so there ya' go. Deal with it, right?


The June UFO was Flag Day Farm, and I just barely made a dent in the process of creating this medallion quilt. Everything is made up from my own head here, and I couldn't duplicate it if I tried. The panel is approximately 21" square and I knew I wanted it to be on point. Since the panel is from an old line of fabric by Minick and Simpson, I decided that I would only use newer Minick and Simpson fabrics to construct the quilt. I had most of this on hand, however I did buy the floral for the outer border on sale at a flat fold table at Old Town Fabrics. The quilt measures 72" square, and I am giving serious consideration to quilting this by hand for Greenfield's upcoming History Day. I will do big-stitch quilting, and, in keeping with Minick and Simpson style, I will imitate the 'Baptist Fan' quilt design that Lori Simpson prefers using on her quilts. 


Farmer's Wife Quilt is September's UFO, and I have finished it just in time. It measures 66" square, and while it is far from a perfectly constructed quilt, I think I will be quite pleased with it when it is eventually quilted. The backing has already been selected from the stash, so it could be only a matter of time. Previous posts here on the blog explain why my FWQ is so much smaller than most, so a search will give you addition information if you want.

I am linking up with Amanda for her Finish It Up Friday party. If you think all quilters sew only quilts, you will be surprised to see Amanda's pretty dresses in her post today.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful finishes on the tops. That medallion piece will be gorgeous once quilted!!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!