Saturday, April 14, 2018

Moda Blockheads



Several Moda designers - some of the biggest names in the quilt world - joined together about a year ago to present a 6-inch block of the week (BOW). All together there were nearly 50, I would guess. I followed along and saved all the patterns - maybe someday I will make these blocks into a quilt, you know? I did make two of the blocks, but I knew I would never keep up, so I collected for that magical "someday."

The designers were Carrie Nelson (remember her from last month?), Lisa Bongean, Jo Morton, Betsy Chutchian, Lynne Hagmeirer, Jan Patek. The blog from Bear Creek offered a thorough explanation of the Blockhead program.

Here's a picture of Carrie with me at the Village workshop. She was so much fun - one of those people you just know could be one of your best buds if you lived anywhere near.


The Blockheads project was a huge success, evidenced by the massive number of quilters who followed them on their Facebook group page. I loved seeing all the variety of colors and fabrics; many made changes to suit individual preferences. That FB group was a wonderfully supportive and encouraging group. True "community."

Well, in the last month or so, many of the quilters who did actually sew along with the designers are now showing off their finished quilts. I have been saving pictures of the ones that I am most enamored with. Granted all of them are beautiful, but a few really appeal to my tastes or style.

I thought I would share a few of my favorites so far. I am sure more and more of these will be posted, so I know I will continue to add to this group.




As I study these three quilts and try to pinpoint why they appeal to me so, I have concluded that there are two factors at play here.

One, I like the idea of a color family, as opposed to a scrappy look. This surprises me, for I have made quite a lot of scrappy quilts, and I love them. But for this project, the controlled color options seem more pleasing. Now, if you study these quilts, two of the three are scrappy-ish. The difference is that the background is consistent, and that offers enough "control" that I don't immediately see a scrappy quilt.

Second, I like the interesting settings. Separating the blocks, which are so varied in their looks, with setting blocks or interesting sashing options lets my eyes "rest" a bit from the otherwise "busy" nature of the quilt.

Soon, like maybe next month, a second round of Blockheads will begin. I have yet to decide if I will join in, but I am certainly going to collect these blocks, as well.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. I like the first one, those jewel tones are so appealing! But I like the setting of the 2nd one. And kudos on your stool recover! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're both lovely quilts. I didn't even save the patterns from the first round of blockheads, maybe I will this time. There are just too many lovely projects to make them all.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!