Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Village Roof-Making

Roof construction is well underway here in the quilting room. With all the houses made last week at retreat, I have just had roofs to finish off this week. Then assembling the two parts will commence.

Making the roofs for these houses involves some significant trimming. Why? Because we have significant bias edges. Those can be buggers if one isnt' careful. No stretching allowed!


So above, we have a stack of roofs needed to be trimmed. I like that the pattern is so clear in how to measure and cut for the trim. It's nearly perfect every time. If any of them are off, it's because I was less than accurate in my sewing.


The photo above shows what the block looks like before and after trimming. That is some significant size difference, isn't it?


After trimming 10 or 15 houses, the stack of trimmings looks like this. Sigh, I hate waste, but I would also hate dealing with wonky parts that don't fit right because of a stretched bias edge.

Oh, the quilter problems!!

I've linked up today with Silly Mama Quilts and Sew Fresh Quilts.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. I am sure they will be worth all the effort!

    thanks so much for linking up!

    brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house blocks are great. I'm always happy with the end product when I take the time to trim.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!