Monday, May 7, 2018

I've Been Away

And I hope you hadn't even noticed!

So here's the story. Two weeks ago, while having dinner with my sister and brother-in-law, they tell us about a trip to Siesta Key they are taking and why don't we drop everything and come along, too? Ooooh, great idea! However, we had obligations and just couldn't see how we could swing it. But the more we thought about it, the more we decided to figure out a way to make it work. And we did!


I changed my finals to online finals as opposed to in-class. Submitting online meant that I could begin grading from Florida. (I didn't, but I could have.) Kevin arranged a substitute for his Mennonite school bus route and we hired a young college grad, one of Kevin's former runners at MHS, to house-sit and dog-sit. We canceled a couple of engagements, and then we bought our tickets!

And that's how you do retirement, ladies and gentlemen!!

I had enough time during the week before we left to write a full week's worth of blog posts, scheduling them to appear daily while we were away. I fully expected to get home Saturday and write up something for the weekend, but that required a bit too much brainwork; my brain was still on the beach! Ha!




We had a fantastic week, and I have to recommend vacationing to beach resorts like this before the summer tourist season begins. We had absolutely no crowds to deal with anywhere - airports, highways, restaurants or beach. Conditions were perfect.


Our condo was situated on what is known as Crescent Beach on Siesta Key in the Sarasota area of Florida. Not only did we enjoy gorgeous, uncrowded beaches by day, but the sunsets were magnificent each evening. And - really cool - someone who lives there full time plays taps just as the sun sets each evening. That added such a solemnity to the experience. One never typically thinks deeply as the sun is setting each day, but the playing of taps really makes one pause, reflect and appreciate.


I very rarely take selfies, but I just had to try it with the sunset reflecting on my glasses. Not too bad, if I do say so myself. (A selfie with no pouty lips. Ha!)

As any self-respecting quilter would do on vacation, I looked for quilt shops in the area. I found The Modern Sewist just 2 miles from our condo! It was a wonderful little shop that I will write about soon. Two other shops were in the area, as well, but this was so close we HAD to check it out.

So, Monday morning is here and I am beginning my summer break. I finalized and submitted grades yesterday. Today, I am wondering what all I can accomplish in the months ahead. You can be sure I am list-making and project-planning. And through it all I will keep you all updated along the way.

Have a great Monday, y'all!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!