Saturday, April 11, 2020

Binding X 2

I went to bed last night with a true feeling of accomplishment. My big sewing goals for the day involved binding two quilts, and I did it. Once needed to be pieced and scrimped together, but I wasn't to be deterred. I got'er done!

The Ludwig baby quilt is at last ready. The shower was to be several weeks ago, and had they been able to go ahead with it, I would have finished it then. But, you may know by now, I am a world-class procrastinator. Once that shower was cancelled (corona virus), finishing the quilt immediately fell off my radar and down to the bottom of the to-do list.


This is the same quilt that you read about in the previous post; I quilted it on Thursday evening and attached the binding on Friday (yesterday).




Matt and Lindsey's baby is due in mid-May, and my friend Cheryl, Matt's mother, will be in charge of taking this to the expectant couple. I think Lindsey will find the tiny animal motifs very much to her liking. She and my older daughter were high school classmates - both artsy types - and I know she has a thing for "critters."

Now, my title indicated that two quilts were bound yesterday, and that is true. I have  had this Simple Sixteen quilt ready for binding for quite awhile. I knew my binding was going to be dangerously close to being too short, so I just avoided sewing it on. Well, with the success of the baby quilt, I decided to figure something out. Yes, I had to add a length of somewhat-matching fabric to the binding, and you know what? It will be just fine.


I made this quilt on an absolute whim a bit more than a year ago. It was so fast and satisfying. Because it was really not any "special" quilt, I quilted it more for the practice on the long-arm than any particular need I had for it. So the fact that it has a pieced backing as well as a pieced binding just adds to its "story."




This may soon go onto our bed for it is so springy and fresh-looking. It's time for a changing-out of the quilts, for sure.

That feeling of accomplishment I mentioned in the beginning also carried over into my increasing skill with virtual teaching. I successfully recorded myself "teaching" a lesson, edited, copied, and uploaded it to our school's learning management system - all on my own!  Whoa! This blows my mind! I'd had two prior "help" meetings, and now this breakthrough. I amaze myself. (snicker)

What's on my agenda for today? I have to say I really don't have a list, and that's a dangerous thing. I generally fritter the entire day away if I don't begin it with a plan. We shall see.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

3 comments:

  1. Really like the baby quilt. The colors are so soft and snuggly looking. Congrats on the computer work. I am a wee bit tech challenged (lol) and sometimes even my sewing machine intimidates me! Very pretty spring quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baby quilt is cute and the Sweet 16 was perfect for practice quilting. But it doesn't really look like you needed much practice. Sweet 16 is another pattern on my list of quilts to someday make. Congrats on your computer savvy!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!