Thursday, April 30, 2020

Deep Stash Dive

That desire to start a new project took hold of me yesterday, and this is what I reached for. At last a notion that has been floating around in my head would come to life. Literally years ago I put these two fabrics together with the idea that they would become a quilt using stars as the main design. To me they just look so dreamy together. The yellow Thimbleberries print called Lake Life (3.25 yards) and the blue 3 Sisters Shangri-La paisley (3 yards) would look great with a white/cream neutral added to them. It would be lovely.


It might be hard to see, but the date on the Lake Life selvage is 2012. I would venture that Shangri-La is of similar vintage. I am not kidding when I say that this has been a notion rattling around in my head for years.

I spent a lot of time deciding things. I mean a lot. The size of the stars. The style of the stars. The most efficient way to cut fabric. How to set the blocks together.

I made 4 Ohio Star blocks and laid them out on top of the blue which I pinned to the design wall.


 It wasn't much help in my 'seeing' the final quilt, so I went to a layout app on my phone. Here is a simulation of how a straight set would look.


Not bad, but I still had uncertainties. After waiting so long to use these fabrics, I want to get this right. I tried putting the blocks on point. That looks pretty good, don't you think? Below is another simulation.

Still unsure, I decided to make some blue stars to see how I'd like alternating blue and yellow stars.


I turned this picture into a simulated layout using that phone app and here's what we get.


So, this final layout is the one I think I want to go with. All the stars. All the blue and yellow dreaminess. So yes, this is it.

Whaddaya' think?

Happy Quilting, Friends!


4 comments:

  1. I like your choice, too, Jayne. It's going to be such a soft, calming quilt. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one too. Such nice colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!💛💙 sp

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the third version! The other two looked great, too, but the last one was even better--so nice that you can see that before committing yourself :-))

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!