Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Progress on My Sew-Along Sampler

Another bit of catching up for you today. If you check the blocks for this sew-along sampler against the ones I shared in the last post of the 30s sampler, you will see the exact same blocks.

I am making only one each of the 30s prints; I am making two each for the sew-along, which is a group effort of the Frankfort Girls, the sewing group I am in.

Our rules. Well, we basically only have one rule: we take turns assigning a block. That's it. Period. Individually, we are free to pick the size we prefer, how many to make, and colors. For my sew-along sampler, I am using two fabrics - red print and off-white print. My blocks are 9.5" unfinished, and I am making two of each block. Click here to read my first post about this project.

My newest blocks are blocks found in Judy Hopkins' book 501 Rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks (2008). The first is Grandmother's Cross and the second is Garden of Eden.


Another 'non-rule' for our sew-along is that we can feel free to adapt as needed. The original pattern Grandmother's Cross is done with 3 fabrics and calls for all the squares shown here (4 red and 1 white) to be 4-patches. I wasn't sure how my 2-color option would work, so I opted to just use a solid block instead of 4-patches. I like how this looks, and it was way easier, simpler, faster.

Here is the same block in my 30s prints. I have used 3 fabrics and made it exactly as instructed.


As I study this block, I can see how I could have used just my two red and white fabrics. Every little block above that is yellow, I could have made in the red, and all the rest would be white. Oh well, I am happy with my modified version.

Next up is Garden of Eden.


That was a fun block to make. After the 4 square-in-a-square sub-units are made the block goes together like a 9-patch - super simple. I had never made this block before, so I was quite happy to have now made it.

Take a look at all the blocks together. It becomes readily apparent that some have white dominant while others have red dominant, so when I do my final layout I will be sure to sprinkle around all the blocks to be sure that the colors are evenly distributed.


With this, I am all caught up on 2 of my samplers. Now, those doggone Blockheads...I am not doing such a great job of keeping up with those.

And, you know what? I am itching to start something new!

Oh dear...

Happy Quilting, Friends!


1 comment:

  1. Lovely blocks, both the red & cream blocks and the 30's you're sewing also. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!