Friday, March 3, 2023

Floral Diamonds Progress Report

 I have had a great time sewing floral diamonds together over the last month or so, and I have quite a sizeable flimsy taking shape as a result.

The current flimsy covers the bed, but the sides are not yet far enough along to have straight edges that work. Do you know how hard it is to think in right angles and straight north and south lines when sewing 60-degree diamonds? My brain is not very well equipped for such stuff.

Instead of cutting half diamonds and corner diamonds, I am just going to use my long acrylic ruler and cut off the edges to establish my straight sides. 

But I am not to that point yet. Like the picture above shows, I have some corners to fill in. Short rows at this point, so they make up fast. However, I am running low on diamonds, and my variety is diminishing.

When I got back from Florida, I had 1.5 inches of diamonds left in my stack. At the beginning, I had 4.5 inches! Having sewn and added quite a few more rows, I have far fewer than an inch-and-a-half as I type this. I am hoping that I can salvage some diamonds from my cut-off sides to add in where needed. Otherwise, I will be digging out more floral fabric and cutting additional diamonds to finish the job.


I give myself another week to finish off this quilt top. I have so very few diamonds remaining to be added; it shouldn't take too much time or effort to git'er done.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



1 comment:

  1. How delicious your Floral Diamonds is, Jayne! All those diamonds of scrappy loveliness is a visual delight. Love it! I like your idea of cutting the edges to establish straight sides. My mind goes into apoplectic shock at the very thought of right angles, 60-degree angles..... anything to do with maths.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!