Friday, March 31, 2023

Vacation Home Refresh - Dining Area

I've been a little lax in sharing the changes we made to our new place in Florida. Today I will share the dining area with you. 

This shadowy picture is my best before shot of the dining room, which technically is more of a nook off the kitchen. Behind me as I hold the camera, is the door to the house, so we enter into this space. The kitchen is to the left upon entering and this space is to the right. That lattice arch behind the table has a mirror in the center with one behind it, too. We opted to remove them and leave the space open - sorta' like a pass-thru. The counter under that arch is built in, so I suppose it might end up serving as a buffet.

The table became quite a work space during our two-week stay. Here, my cousin Terry, is attempting to fix a chair with a loose arm.Of course, all manner of clutter impeded his work, but he persevered.

The chairs have wheels which made it easy to roll them out of the way for painting or whatever other work needed doing.

This "during" picture really shows a lot of activity. The walls are paneled, so the grooves all needed to be prepped before rolling; that accounts for the striped look here. The mirrors have been removed from the lattice - they are the gray rectangles leaning against the back wall. The ceiling light is staying and the jury is still out on whether or not we will paint it. We will make that decision on down the road sometime.

You can see how much stuff is piled on the counters - in the foreground are dishes from the kitchen cabinets that I washed and later arranged in the china cupboard in the family room. (See this post.) The buffet counter became the painting supply headquarters. All the things: paint, brushes, stirrers, rollers, tape - you know all the needs. 

Our finished dining area looks like a blank slate at this point, but the job and the clean-up are finished. I want a nice rug under the table. I envision some cool art or decor on the back wall. I have already made a curtain for that window (it looks out onto the lanai). The chairs are solid, yet the upholstery is rather dirty, so we are cleaning them; bit by bit they are looking better. We will continue working on them when we go back.

That about sums up our dining room efforts. I have 2 bedrooms to share with you yet, so stay tuned for that. I will combine them into one post. 

The house has two baths, but we didn't change anything in them; just cleaned them rather aggressively. Bathroom re-dos will take place next winter.

So, since I am supposed to be blogging about quilting and sewing, what on earth have I been doing since being home? Not quilting and sewing, that's for sure! We have had a gazillion errands and appointments and dates of one thing or another. Plus we are hosting Easter dinner, so I am thinking more about stuff like cleaning and prepping than about quilting and sewing. Such is life.

Evenings are for stitching, so here's another GFG flower for my ever-growing bouquet. I've also begun the outer row on another.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!