Sunday, March 26, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching

While I've been slow stitching today and for the past several days, I find myself thinking about the scraps I am using to make these hexie flowers for an eventual Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. 

One appealing aspect of making these flowers is that I am using lots of scraps. From just a two-inch square of fabric, I can make one hexagon. Once center piece; six center surround pieces; 12 outer surround pieces. Period. Not much required to make one flower; and perfect for using scraps.

This particular flower has an added bonus in that the outer print is a scrap from my grandmother's fabrics. Isn't it great? Grandma has been gone nearly 8 years now, yet I still am so frequently reminded of her as I work on various projects. I have no idea what quilt she made using this fabric, but I do know that she was exceedingly partial to blue. It's a sweet memory of Grandma when I come across pieces from her stash.

That pink center fabric is a leftover from a 2019 make I called Memoire a Paris, the same name as the line of fabric. Here is my introductory post. The fabric was rather pricey, and even though I took advantage of a sale I am glad not to waste this usable bit of it.

These two flowers have a very special pink fabric that I am pleased to be using in this quilt. When we learned that we'd be grandparents to a little girl, I went wild for buying pink fabric. I made our darling Cate a simple 9-patch quilt using this pink as the darker fabric. (see pic below) Matching the fabric with other colors has been sorta' fun, and I love seeing how the total effect works.

I am currently working on another flower in which I am using both of these fabrics. Fun! Someday years from now, I can tell Cate that her little 9-patch quilt has bits of leftovers sprinkled through the GFG quilt.

Each flower has the potential for another stroll down memory lane with whatever various remnant I happen to use next. 

Making hexie quilts obviously isn't the fastest way to use all the scraps, but it is one slow and enjoyable way to make them work. Like so many quilters, I have more scraps that I will ever be able to use, so you can be sure I employ some faster methods for using them. A balance of fast and slow sewing works; those gals at Slow Sunday Stitching see the value in slowing down every once in awhile, right? Go have a look at what everyone is working on this week. Thanks to Kathy for her weekly link-up!

Happy Quilting, Friends!


3 comments:

  1. Your flower garden quilt is going to be so lovely, it's even more special to use your grandmother's fabric in it. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hexie quilts are fabulous for using up some of the scraps we have. I love too, that the hexie flowers hold in them so many lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!