Saturday, January 13, 2024

Let's Start With One and a Half

Inches. I'm starting my dive into stash sewing with my smallest unit - the 1.5" square. I have a small plastic basket full-to-overflowing with them and a fun idea with which to work.

Mostly, this little basket contains the actual 1.5" squares, but also buried in the mess are 1.5" strips. Sometimes, I'd be too lazy to cut down all the little bits, so I just put the strips in and decided that I could cut them further as desired. 

It's been so long since I've seen the bottom of this basket, that I am sure I will be surprised by what I find buried in the depths. Working my way down will most certainly spark memories of projects long past.

A few posts back, I shared that Becky had stitched along with Taryn at @reproquiltlover on InstaGram. Interestingly, Taryn has undertaken a new project. She will host a year-long endeavor of making tiny 9-patches with her scraps. 

Now, even though I swore off participating in any more sew-alongs, I do think this might be okay to "follow." Since I have planned to stitch these basic units anyway, and I have intended to do so with all these scraps I've prepared, then it seems only logical to "follow." 

Can you see my reasoning here?

I see that Taryn has a sign up for those who wish to follow along; the last day to sign up is Monday. There are basically no rules or deadlines, which gives stitchers leeway, and I like that.

By using 1.5" squares, the resulting 9-patch measures 3.5" (unfinished) and when sewn into a quilt will be 3" (finished). Taryn has plans for even smaller sizes, and it will be fun to sew what those teeny blocks will become. My smallest unit (the 1.5" square) will be my focus, and I won't attempt anything smaller, however tempting that might be.

I've already made two 9-patches from fabrics that were on the top of my basket. One is scrappier than the other, and when I have made this entire basket of scraps into 9-patches, the blocks will all be one very happy and cohesive blend. 

Direction. I have a direction now with my scrappy sewing. I am totally going to enjoy this. And the bonus will be that the scraps I've painstakingly saved over the years will finally be become something tangible and useful.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

6 comments:

  1. I've been making 9-patch with 1.5" scraps for a few years now. It is my favourite leader-ender. Last week, I was prompt to tally how many I have so far and the total was 339. Thanks for the link to Taryn. I don't have an IG account but I'll sign up anyway. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I spend way too many hours looking at Instagram, so be forwarned! The quilters I've "met" there make some mighty pretty quilts! And, good job with all the 9-patches! That is an impressive total! And perfect for leader-enders.

      Delete
  2. This looks like something I could probably handle. I have so many ufos on the go, what's another one!? Hopefully it will help get more room in my sewing area unless the scraps breed scraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could totally do it! I really do plan to swear off sew-alongs, but making 9-patches was part of my plan all along, so technically it's a happy accident!

      Delete
  3. Making 9 patches in all sizes is my favorite block to piece, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, happy stitching indeed! You and I both love our 9-patches!

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!