Thursday, January 25, 2024

More of the Same

 In the few snippets of time I find to sit down at the sewing machine, I continue to make tiny 9-patch blocks from the tubful of 1.5-inch scraps I've accumulated. It amazes me how these bits of fabric are becoming parts for a whole quilt! Most people would have thrown these bits in the waste basket. 

I mentioned in a previous post that I was originally against the idea of organizing the bits into colorways. Then after spending so much time plowing through the little tub, I figured I was wasting too much time looking for that one piece of fabric I knew I had. It was time to organize. Working on one color at a time has made a huge difference!

I suppose you figured out from looking at the pictures that I was working my way through the red bits, and then the blue bits. That rosy pink block must be a renegade.

I believe I now have over 70 of these little 9-patch blocks made. Plenty more to make, too, as I am ready to tackle the green bits, the brown bits, and the yellow bits next. My little tray serves as both the pressing station and the organization (such that it is!) station.

I select the bits for each block and then line them up along the sewing table. When I have 10 or so ready to go, I chain piece them and have them finished off in no time.

Take a peek at my itty-bitty sewing corner. I don't need much space when I'm working on itty-bitty blocks. How do you like that nifty little desk? My color choice still appeals, too.

Time for sewing is at a premium here in Florida. It seems there is always something to do, and I try not to miss out on any of it. On Tuesday afternoon, we rode 8 miles on our recumbent bikes. There was quite a gang - 6 of us - heading out for who knows where. When we got to the 4-mile mark, we turned around and rode back. Good fun, and so peaceful.

After 2 weeks of chilly, gray days, we are finally getting the warm sunshine that one expects in Florida. Yesterday we got up to the low 80s with lots of sunshine. Perfect morning for playing shuffleboard. Today is supposed to be warmer, but cloudy. I think I can handle that. *grin*

Happy Quilting, Friends!

4 comments:

  1. Just had my cataract surgery so still not able to see properly. I can at least figure out the size I want for my quilt, and then when healed--look out! This will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope your eyes recover quickly! You will love how quickly these little blocks make up!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely love your new sewing table. Your setup looks like something from a doll house and you are obviously enjoying playing with your nine patches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My little desk is working out quite well, for as small as it is. I am forced to use smaller pieces as this room is in a double wide mobile home, and it must serve as a welcoming guest room, too. Space is definitely at a premium. I am enjoying the 9-patches, but I can tell I am soon gonna grow bored. I need to find a suitable diversion.

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!