Saturday, May 25, 2024

Tag Sale Reveal

Tag Sale has been finished for awhile; I've just never taken the time to bring you the update on this flimsy. After some finagling about borders, here is my completed quilt top.

I was somewhat slowed with finishing the borders. Rather than read through every single cutting instruction, I erroneously assumed that the borders would be the size of a charm pack - five inches.

Big mistake. Not 5-inch squares, but 5.5-inch squares were required. My careless assumption slowed me down. Not wanting to waste the charm pack I'd been intending to use, I went ahead with them and also cut a few more squares to make up the difference.

My entire reason for making this quilt was two-fold. First, I had a small collection of Bonnie & Camille fabric from 2017 (The Good Life) plus an even smaller amount of B & C fabric (Smitten) and no idea for a quilt in which to use them. Second, I'd been wanting to make the pattern Tag Sale again, having made it once before some 20 years ago.

So with my friend Sharon's help, I shopped for some complimentary fabrics (Maureen McCormick's Flower Power) - that's where the orange came from. (I rarely use orange!) And also some teal, green, and white. I simply hoped for the best. 

I won't claim to be entirely satisfied with my efforts. The quilt really looks much to busy for me. There's no place for the eyes to rest and the aqua/teal sort of overpowers everything.

I will go ahead and finish this quilt despite its excessive busy-ness. It will be a good quilt to use for everyday purposes. Possibilities: for use on the lawn when watching fireworks or having a picnic; to rest a baby on when playing on the floor; to wrap up in on a cool night around a bonfire. Definitely all sorts of options. 

So finish and move on.

Not every quilt has to thrill me.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

Jayne

3 comments:

  1. I think it's absolutely wonderful! And wait until it's quilted! I sometimes find that I am not very enthused about a top, but once it's quilted, it brings such joy. And I find that the quilts that we use in all those situations you mentioned become our favorites because they are the ones that we associate with all of those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tag Sale will be perfect during the dreary gray days of winter! It will definitely cheer you up and give you energy to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. It looks comfortable and if it was a "masterpiece " you wouldn't want to use it cuz it was too good. Besides, it will keep you warm just as much as one you would get excited about. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!