Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Monday, May 10, 2010

Porch Beautification Project

I have a lovely screened-in porch which is a very inviting place on breezy afternoons. We have pleasant songbirds who provide just the right amount of accompaniment; the woods which surround us offers up wonderful rustling leaves. It's an all-around idyllic setting, if I do say so myself.

But, every couple of years the cushions and pillows need to be updated. Sunshine and weather conditions can take their toll on the crispness and color. I have been to the stores checking out potential options. I'm not really liking what I'm seeing out there. And the prices I've seen on these less-than-exciting possibilities are beyond what I feel like paying.

Soooo...

I think I will make slipcovers for the cushions I already have. I did that the last time I redid the porch, which was the summer of 2008. I found some fabulous sturdy fabric in the remnant area of Jo-ann Fabrics in Chillicothe. It was 54" wide, and a scrumptious shade of yellow with a light blue flower motif. The remnant had enough fabric to cover a settee cushion, a chair cushion, a bench pad and to make a tablecloth! It all looked great, and I wish I had a picture of it to show. Alas, I do not. All I've got is a naked porch in need of some bling!

The aforementioned settee, chair, bench and table minus their finery. They look so bare! I am looking for enough fabric this time to also make some chair pads for the chairs that go with the table.

I need to get in gear! Some nice days will surely be here soon, and it'd be nice to be ready for them! A big glass of iced tea, a hefty summer read, the ceiling fan circulating all the fresh air, the fountains peacefully trickling water -- want to join me?

1 comment:

Sinta Renee said...

Sounds good to me... I'll bring the table cloth:)