Saturday, August 18, 2012

Great Granny

Maybe you have watched the blogs and have noticed the prevalence of this block.


I have seen them a lot, and I was impressed, but not so much that I was moved to make it myself.  However, as I've seen more and more examples of this block showing up all over the place, I began changing my mind, and I sorta' got the notion to make one.

It's called the Great Granny Square, named for the crocheted granny square that I'm sure most of us are familiar with. There is a quilt block known as the Granny Square, but it has one less "round" of squares than this one, the Great Granny. It is the brainchild of Lori Holt of Bee In My Bonnet blog and Jodi at Pleasant Home. There is also a Flickr group of finished GG blocks that is pretty cool to look at.

The big idea with crocheted Granny Squares is that it is an easy way to use up small bits of yarn. So it is with the quilt block. The blocks are made with 2.5" squares of scraps! The scraps I used for my block are all left over from the quilt I made last summer with Breath of Avignon fabric. Isn't it a looker? I really like it, and it was totally fun to make!


Yes, I do believe I will find the time to make a few more of these little gems. The block finishes at 12.5 inches. The tutorial on Lori's blog (see link above) is helpful, and explains how charm squares and layer cakes can be used in addition to the 2.5" jelly roll strips.



Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Jayne I love the fabrics you chose. One of these days I'm going to make that block - if work ever slows down. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this antique Grandmother's Pride block. Your version is super pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!