Monday, April 16, 2012

A Brief (hopefully!) Interruption

Just when things are going along swimmingly, life throws me a big curveball!

On Sunday, I was in the hospital for the removal of my gall bladder!

I thought I was just having a very severe case of indigestion, but when it wouldn't stop hurting, I had DH take me to the emergency room. In quick order I was having a CAT scan, which revealed a gallstone the size of an egg. That's pretty big, as I guess the gall bladder is normally just larger than a golf ball! I had a fun ride in the ambulance from our little town to the hospital about 25 miles away. By midnight I was being discharged! It was quite a routine surgery, and despite feeling a good bit sore and stiff today, I think I am mending nicely.

Here's a brief biology lesson: the gall bladder is situated on the right side, near the lowest rib. It hides under the liver. And even though I described it as the size of a golf ball, it is not round - it's more oblong, as illustrated above.

Here is another illustration showing a bladder with numerous gallstones.

There are many small stones in this illustration, while I had one giant one.

Still can't believe I wasn't experiencing prior discomfort.

Well, I think I will take a few days to recover; then I will be back to posting about quilts.

Happy quilting, Friends!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, hoping you are feeling better each day. Not the way you planned to spend your Sunday, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh noo, I'm so sorry. Hope you get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get well soon, we love to see you around here

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw your post and I hope you a feeling much better Jayne!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!