Thursday, November 2, 2017

Yet Another Baby Quilt

For several months I have had on my to-do list to make a quilt for a baby due in our family around Christmas time. This baby's papa is my nephew Donnie; his wife Elisa is the daughter of my one of my dearest high school friends. (Got that?)  Anyway, the blessed event is quickly approaching and I figured that before I know what my next UFO is, maybe today would be a good day to whip something simple together.


In early August, I picked up these 5 pieces of fabric at the Good Time Quilters' quilt show in Circleville. It was selected specifically for this baby. I have hemmed and hawed about how to make it for months, and today I just decided that 5" squares will be just fine - as well as fast. Below, I have the blocks arranged on the design wall.

I sewed these together, decided that it was a rather small quilt - even for a baby quilt, so I cut a bit more blocks to add a row both lengthwise and crosswise. Now I am satisfied. The finished quilt center is below.


Now it occurs to me that I need backing fabric. I may do some on-line shopping for that. A border may also figure into things; I will be open-minded about that and decide when I am shopping. This fabric line is from 2016; it is called Modern Tykes and the designers are Kim and Molly Diehl of Henry Glass Fabrics.



Those top three pictures looked so blurry to me, so I took two more that were close-ups. I understand what is making it blur now. That print with the multi-colored circles has a blurring effect with those gray outer circles. My pictures probably weren't blurry after all.

I feel pretty good about my day's efforts. We had some other running around to do, and the day isn't yet over! Card club is coming up this evening.

Hope you all have had a productive Thursday! I am linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday at her blog My Quilt Infatuation. Go see what she's up to!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

3 comments:

  1. Such vibrant fabrics for a beautiful new little person! I know deciding on the pattern is often a real hold up for me and can take me ages to decide. But I love these blocks and the way they are arrayed. Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun fabric for a baby quilt. Your design is perfect to show off the cute fabrics. Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great baby quilt! Definitely sometimes simpler is best.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!