Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Lake Effect: Approaching the Applique Phase

Lake Effect - early on I referred to it as the 10-year-project, but I have really progressed on it so far this calendar year, and I find myself nearing the point that starting the applique sections is on my mind. I expect to finish faster than 10 years. *grin*

To do any applique, I needed to print off the pattern to the correct size. After many frustrating attempts on my home printer, I finally took my digital pattern (by Minick and Simpson and purchased from Fat Quarter Shop) to school and sought assistance from the copier experts. I needed to use 11"x17" paper, and we did it up right - color!



In the upper corner of the first picture, you see my stack of hexies - evidence that I really am making steady progress. Once I get the center section of hexies sewn together I will be able to stitch them to the center applique panel. Suddenly making that panel becomes a priority.


The hexies are sewn together in sections as shown above. I will soon have those 4 parts for the center done.

Making that simple (?) little center panel will test my mettle. I have long held a reluctance to do applique, and this pattern sorta' forces the issue, doesn't it? It seems harmless enough at 11"x 15", but then I begin trying to figure how in the world to make those skinny stems on the branches, and how to get those berries to be round (as opposed to lopsided and wonky). I will stew about it, I'm sure.


My initial effort was to make a big shape, a simple shape - one that had few deep curves or narrow bits. Say hello to this happy cardinal. Not bad for a first effort. Next I will try some leaves. I've had to put the whole business aside lately, but I will return to it.

Have you wonderful readers any applique advice for me? Is there a secret trick you use to deal with the narrow bits or the deep curves? Do you use freezer paper? Do you go with raw-edge? Needle turn? Right now, I am going the freezer paper route, but I leave myself open to changing my mind. I will gladly learn from anyone with tips and pointers.

Happy Quilting, Friends!




3 comments:

  1. For a long narrow vine, I think back basting is the best way to go. I use Karen Buckleys perfect circles for my circles. Mine aren't quite perfect but they sure look more like circles than they used to. This is so pretty! I don't remember if you showed the pattern before it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For very small circles I would embroider them: stitch around the circle with a back stitch, satin stitch across this, then a second layer at right angles, so that you have a nice fat berry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only needleturn. Cut deep into the middle of those curves and then smaller snips on either side. A helpful tool for me is a wet toothpick to help to "sweep" the fabric under. I keep it moist and it works slick. I too use K.B. Circles and you can really get some nice small ones. I love this pattern. I have a bunch of those papers to do that shape. THink I will try to find the pattern on M&S. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!