Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Two Double Nines

That little saga I wrote of a few posts back has been completed. Both quilts are now finished to the flimsy stage and I am anxious to move on to whatever happens along next. Let me show you my two double 9-patch quilts.


The quilt hanging on the design wall is made with the blocks that were constructed accurately. Honestly, I did not have very many of these when I sorted out my UFO tub. Most of the blocks in the quilt on the wall were pieced just in the past few days since I have revisited this UFO. I found a pretty feathery fabric (by Moda) in the stash that makes a fantastic border. I am very pleased with my efforts.



Then I turned my attention to all those poorly constructed blocks. I still don't fully understand what I was doing wrong, but so many of them were off kilter in all sorts of ways. They were a mess. I just couldn't bear the thought of throwing them all away, though. I decided, instead, to make a second quilt and just allow for inaccuracies as I went along. The result looks surprisingly good, and that could be a lesson for all of us -- we don't have to obsess about everything being perfectly constructed to have a quilt that meets the "eye test." If I weren't telling you here that the quilt in the foreground is made with wonky blocks, you would never know it.


I used the same beige setting fabric on both quilts, and for the second quilt used the Debbie Mumm burgundy print from the little 9-patches for the border. And now it, too, looks fantastic and I am equally pleased with the results.

I am having fun making all these quilts using the 9-patch block, but I do think I am about ready to switch things up and try something different for awhile. Maybe a Churn Dash? An Ohio Star? We shall see.

Happy Quilting, Friends!




3 comments:

  1. They are both beautiful! We quilters are bad about pointing out our mistakes. As you said, most people would never notice them. Great finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both look good. I couldn't tell the difference between the 2 in the pictures from the post. Happy stitching with the new project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great save! Thanks for sharing this work-around. I hope that I will never need it!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!