Monday, September 9, 2019

Diagonal Madness

I love the name of this quilt - Diagonal Madness. It's a Kaffe Fassett quilt from his book Country Garden Quilts. I figure I will be exhibiting a fair amount of madness as I try to work on this through a busy fall semester.

This is the quilt featured in the book. I have had it earmarked for several years. My selection of this quilt was made largely for the use of many fabrics - none of which is needed in large amounts. I have lots of his fabrics, but very few are cut larger than a half yard or a full yard. I would be hard pressed to come up with extensive yardage for less scrappy-looking quilts.

I spent some pleasant bits of time throughout this weekend perusing my options from these books. Not shown in this picture is a view off all the tabs sticking out of the tops. I use sticky note tabs to mark quilts that I like; and then over time, if I have forgotten patterns, the ones I like are easily identifiable. Interestingly, I have gone back through old books and magazines and wondered what I was thinking with a few that I find marked. The photo below sorta' shows some tabs at the top of the book.


I LOVE the riot of color so characteristic of Kaffe's fabrics. This quilt promises to be really fun to work on!
The 4-patch blocks are 4 inches at this stage. These will be sewn with plain 4-inch blocks, and they will be laid out on point. I am going to use a distinct fabric for the setting triangles - probably light - something that will frame the center. Then I will think about the 9-patch border on down the road.

I plan to have fun working on this quilt. I am not putting any pressure on myself to work hard at it, as I know the school work will be picking up in a few weeks.

In addition to the school work, I have two or three other projects to focus on this month. I will put together a blogpost about those soon.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


2 comments:

  1. I love the quilt you show in the book, looks like a good project for you to use up scraps. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!