Saturday, September 21, 2019

Jelly Roll Day

For the past three years (or more?) in September quilters have celebrated the jelly roll precut with National Sew A Jelly Roll Day. This phenomenon of precuts has really changed the quilting world and since their inception some 20 years ago, I would guess that the marketing of precut-friendly books, patterns and products has been quite lucrative.

So today has been the day that has been designated Jelly Roll Day for 2019. I have known about this for awhile, and had pretty much zero interest in making another JR quilt. I have plenty on my plate at the moment.

But then I got on Instagram about 3pm today, and then I saw pretty quilts and pretty jelly roll fabrics, and then I couldn't help myself. Like a squirrel with short attention span, I put aside my Kaffe Fassett sewing, and dug in.

I have several jelly rolls in the stash, so when I opened the drawer where I have them stored I found these two partial rolls, so I just decided I would use them.

Both jelly rolls are La Vie en Rouge by French General/Moda. I am guessing that I took a particular strip or several strips out of these - I've long forgotten the project.

The last thing I need to be doing is starting another project.

But I did. And who needs a pattern?? I had an idea that I could make up a design that would create diagonal lines of red one way and white/neutral the other way. I made four blocks. I didn't want to make more if the idea didn't pan out, so I arranged them and took this picture.

Then I pulled up a photo-editing app on my phone to create a collage - this gives the effect of a quilt.

I think this is going to work! I can see those diagonal lines the way I wanted. I am definitely going to go ahead and make more blocks - I have no idea how big this will end up being, nor any idea how many blocks I will make. I will go until I run out of jelly roll.

Short and sweet. Gotta make the midnight deadline!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

3 comments:

  1. Love this design, you can't beat a no cost pattern and using strips you already have on hand! Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the app you used on your phone? (If I'm not being too nosey? :) )

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!