Saturday, September 7, 2019

Returning The Favor

I spent a happy afternoon yesterday at my niece Abby's house. She needed some assistance on a home decorating project she'd begun.


Here is Abby, comfortable in her dining area where we were set up for sewing. See that cool map behind her? I will explain how that was done at the end of this post. First, I need to take care of the sewing project.

Back in early August, Abby came here to help me with a project with the express purpose of learning how to do these sorts of jobs herself. She was a huge help in making a chair slipcovering which I shared in this post. We worked and stayed at it until finished! I surely would have quit midway had she not been here.

Now back at Abby-Doodle's house. (Doodle - a loving nickname) While Abby's ultimate goal is recovering her sofa, she started out with something way more manageable - a porch swing cushion. When I got to her house, she had already taken apart the old cover, used it for a pattern to cut the new, and had pinned the pieces together, right sides together. She was stumped on the back closure. Her plan to reuse the original zipper failed as it was most likely dry-rotted and disintegrated as she was removing it from the fabric. We thought an envelope-type fold would work, or maybe attach some buttons or Velcro, or even ties.


We left it at just being pinned, as Abby decides what she prefers doing. I have every confidence that she can handle it from here. Doesn't it look great? The original cushion had piping, but it looks perfectly fine without, and it was definitely a faster job for omitting it.


Here is the sofa which will be recovered. Whoa! That's a whopper! It intimidates me, but she is sure she can do it! Yikes!


And here's that cool graphic artwork behind the dining table. You will not believe how this was made. Ingenious.


The map began as a shower curtain. It was cut into thirds and stretched onto frames that they built to fit the length and width of each section. Then the panels are simply leaned against the wall. Does it not look fantastic? It has major WOW-factor impact for an inexpensive DIY. What smart kids!

That's all for today, Peeps. We have some work to get done before Buckeye football time!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. She is a brave girl to tackle that couch but if she thinks she can, I'm sure she will. Confidence plays a huge part in home jobs. The map is really neat, a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is going to be a job, but considering all that she is doing I bet she will be successful! I would not tackle it - too chicken! LOL Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!