Friday, January 10, 2020

A Fun Group Project

As we begin a fresh, new year, many of us are searching out ways to increase our productivity while at the same time, stretch ourselves creatively by branching out in new ways. With that goal in mind, the Frankfort Girls have established a little project that promises to be meet those expectations.

With a goal of making something together, yet keeping the "rules" as simple as possible, this is what we've come up with. The host for the first meeting of the month through this entire calendar year will assign us a block. We are to make 2 blocks in any color way and any size that pleases us individually - we are making them for ourselves. This eliminates the worry that someone else won't like the blocks we create; we make what we like and keep them for ourselves.

By year's end, each of us will have 24 blocks - 2 of twelve different blocks - and from that point, what we do with them is up to the individual. Setting blocks can be added if the maker has made small-ish blocks. If the maker has some whoppers, then no setting blocks - just stitch them together for a fast quilt top. If a maker wants more of one block or wants to omit any, that's perfectly fine. We are just going to see what we have accomplished - individually - at year's end.

Sounds simple, right? I am looking forward to it!

My first decision was what fabric to use. The stash offers many options, but I chose a combination that I set aside months ago. I didn't want to dither over a choice, so when my eyes landed on this pairing, I knew it would work.


A red and cream quilt is always beautiful, and this combination is one I have saved for forever. The selvages might be hard to read; Sentiments by 3Sisters/Moda and Hints of Prints by Robert Kaufman. Ancient stash pieces; I have not a clue how long ago I bought them. I have 2 yards of the red, and 3 yards of the cream. Here's a better look.


Our first block assignment is Ohio Star. Yay!! I love a red and white star. My next decision was what size I wanted to work with. For no particular reason, I am going with 9.5" unfinished. First, I made a test block.


I still had some 30s prints laying out from a previous project, so I made this block. I love it. It was almost enough to make me change my mind about the red and cream quilt, and go with a 30s quilt. But no, I'm sticking with the plan. I am going to love making this quilt in these fabrics.


This is going to be an easy, fun little project with the girls. It will be interesting to see everyone's blocks and all the variety we will bring to the table.

The trip with Terry yesterday was a great 'retail therapy' day! We visited 3 quilt shops in eastern Ohio and had a marvelous day dreaming up projects and plans for many months to come.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



4 comments:

  1. I always love your fabric choices (these two are particularly gorgeous), and your idea for a quilt to make with the gang sounds fun. It will be interesting to see everyone's work evolve into similar but very different quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be beautiful! I know you’ve been saving that fabric for a good project!❤️ Love that red and cream! Yours, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm liking red more and more. I'm still a blue girl but I do see some red & whites in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your trip sounds quite dreamy. Hubby and I (he took yesterday off) and started out early to our favorite breakfast.... 30 minutes from us. We had both of our Cattle Dogs with us as co-pilots and finisher up of the toast and a few home fries.

    Then off to a quilt shop which is another hour from our home. So your day resonated with me. Not only that but I picked up two fabrics similar to the ones that you are going to use for your Ohio Star blocks. I have two quilts for two young adult grandchildren *siblings’ that I want to have done for their birthdays in March. Sigh, then I hopefully will dig out my new purchase and make our Jacobs Ladder quilt. The group decision sounds like such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!