Monday, May 24, 2021

Sew Along Update - Week 13

 

We've tiptoed through the tulips, made our way through the April showers, enjoyed the May flowers, and it won't be long before we tumble headlong into June! Cliches galore, there! *grin* 

So, since we last checked in, what have you been able to accomplish on your Spring Dreams quilt? Making blocks? Setting together rows? Planning for quilting?

My journey on this sew along currently has me thinking about two things from opposite ends of the quilting spectrum. One is starting a new Spring Dreams; the other is quilting one of my existing Spring Dreams. Yes, I would most definitely make another one of these quilts. And yes, finishing one would be a really big deal for me.

Maybe I can do both! 

As far as starting another Spring Dreams goes, it occurred to me last week that we have not made one to represent the reproduction lovers in the quilting family. It would be worth a try to see how one would look done up in fabrics that hearken back to days gone by. It just so happens that I've got a little bit of that. *grin*

All my previous Spring Dreams quilts have been made with yardage cut into long 2.5" strips or jelly rolls, which are precut 2.5" strips. I wonder how I would get along using a layer cake? I have this older LC of some Pam Buda fabric that might just provide the repro look I am going for.

 Since the LC is mostly darker fabrics, I found the light yardage in my stash for the light part of the 9-patches. I also pulled out the dark yardage to use as sashing strips. 

I really do think I want to make this quilt. I intend to give it a go here in the coming days. Stay tuned for updates.

Now, as for quilting, this requires backing, so I spent a good afternoon or more digging out yardages that would suit either my original Spring Dreams or my Sanctuary Spring Dreams. Of course I want to show you both! I can't yet decide which one I will ultimately end up quilting.

For my original Spring Dreams quilt, I found these greens that seem to do the job. The paisley is the one I have the most of, but it is still a tad too small to complete the job. Therefore I need to piece the backing, which necessitates my adding that green floral. I have only about a yard of it - maybe not even that much, but it would be enough to back the quilt. The paisley is Windham Fabrics piece by Anna Griffin. The floral is so old there is no way of knowing it's origins.

I'm especially interested in  quilting the Sanctuary Spring Dreams. Since making my new bed pillows this past week using bits of leftover Sanctuary fabrics, this would be a lovely quilt with which to complete the look.

Both the pink fabrics I pulled are by 3 Sisters, the same designers who are responsible for Sanctuary. I have lots of the paisley, but I like the floral a lot, too, so I am considering yet another pieced backing for this quilt, too. 

So that is my update for this week. Make this new week a great one, dear quilters!

Happy Quilting, Friends!






1 comment:

  1. You've pulled some lovely fabrics for the quilt backs. I look forward to seeing how you quilt them, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!