Wednesday, August 11, 2021

A Quilt For Emma

Way back at Christmas time, DD Emma asked if I'd make her a quilt. Uh, yeah. It's what I do! And when your kiddos ask, that's a no-brainer!

Emma had a very specific notion of what she wanted. This is going to require my inventing another quilt. Remember the one I did for the daughter of a friend - back in 2016? There was not one thing hard about Elisa's quilt other than its sheer size. All the stitching and design was about as straightforward as can be. 

Emma'a quilt will be equally easy in its construction. All she wants is one star. She wants it all to be very monochromatic and subtle. We have shared back and forth some fabric options, and we have finally decided to use two shades of Basic Grey Grunge fabric. Our choices are shown in the photo below.


So, I've now made the one block required for this quilt - an 18" Ohio Star. Well, technically, it isn't entirely made. I have the parts ready, and waiting on the design wall. I sent this photo off to Emma to get her seal of approval.

Since this is the only block in the whole quilt, I will take every precaution I possibly can to make all my points meet perfectly. Even if I have to hand-stitch the block, I will do it. One missed point will stand out like the proverbial sore thumb. 

All around this block, I will just add all the background fabric. I will need to determine how long and how wide I want the quilt to be, and work out the math (?)  -- What!? Math?? Yes, I think I can manage it. The star will be off-center, so that will help. I can "eyeball" its placement and work out the rest.


This picture of the star on the design wall provides a bit of perspective. Emma's block will be an 18" block. The little star up above is an 8" block. It helps to have that frame of reference.

This will be fun, right?

Happy Quilting, Friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!