Saturday, August 21, 2021

Quilting A Baby Gift

In the previous post, I indicated that Thursday was a productive day. In addition to making Emma' quilt top which I shared yesterday, I also decided it was time I quilted the baby quilt for my soon-to-be-born grand nephew. He'll be here in a week or so!

I bought the fabrics in June when we toured through the Shenandoah Valley. I used my go-to baby quilt pattern and whipped up this little boy quilt in no time. I will show full reveal pictures after it has been gifted. Below are the fabrics. 



Well, ever since making the quilt top, it has been draped over the bar of the long arm machine, waiting to be quilted. I still drag my feet to get to this part of the finishing process. Deadlines make me take action.

It seemed I was done in no time. When baby quilts are on the long arm, they quilt up fast. I had it bound before the end of the day. Ta-da. I am so glad it is done, and ready to pass on along to my sister to pass on to the expectant parents, her son and daughter-in-law. 

Here are some previously made baby quilts using the same pattern I used in this quilt.


It is so basic, and any size squares will work. I suppose most of these are 4" squares that finish at 3.5" - maybe bigger. I lay them out on the floor or bed to arrive at a pleasing look. The strongest diagonals look best when spread out with some softer fabrics to separate. Then I stitch using the fast and easy, tried and true Eleanor Burns method. A baby quilt comes together quite fast.

Yes, Thursday was quite a productive day, after a week of non-sewing activities. Now I have moved on to those Ohio Stars I need to finish for the block exchange we Frankfort Girls are doing in December.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



2 comments:

  1. Your baby quilt design is very nice but I've never heard of the Eleanor Burns tried and true method to quilt, what way is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once all the pieces are laid out to your liking, you turn the 2nd column fade down onto the 1st column and chain stitch all of column 2 to column 1. Repeat with column 3 and so on across the quilt. It looks quite strange to see the whole quilt sewn together this way. When all the rows are together, turn sideways and sew all the rows together. Don’t cut apart!! It helps to keep blocks where they belong to keep it all attached. If that doesn’t make sense, let me know. I can find a book of EB’s and show it on the blog.

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!