Friday, August 20, 2021

Making Emma's Neutral Quilt

 Don't worry! I am still around! Just been busy doing other things besides sewing and blogging!

I had book club on Tuesday, which is not an overly lengthy meeting, yet when one hasn't read the book we are supposed to be discussing, then one must read-read-read! I spent a significant part of Sunday and Monday listening to Last Bus To Wisdom by Ivan Doig. It was a wonderful book! So very satisfying. Delightful. At 480 pages, though, it was a marathon session of listening.

I normally listen to books while I sew, but this particular week I listened while I cleaned and cooked for the other big event on my  calendar - Frienzies. I was scheduled Wednesday to serve the ladies brunch. I have an uncanny way of never being ready on time, but I really worked at it, and did mostly okay.


The menu consisted of quiche, muffins, fruit salad, and assorted appetizers. I think everything turned out okay.

Thursday, with the book read, meeting attended, and brunch served, I sewed. And gosh, did I get a lot done! 

I made the flimsy for Emma's neutral quilt! It looks pretty darn good, too!

Do you see the star in this quilt? You might have to click on the picture to enlarge it. In the upper left quadrant, a very neutral Ohio star is stitched in. The fabric used it Grunge, so that accounts for what looks like discoloration. It is not, I assure you!


 Here's the star. I tried really hard to get the points to match up. I think I did okay. It satisfies me, for sure!

I am such a visual learner, I just have to share a couple of examples of this visual learning in action.


First, I could not decide how to place the star. With the plan to make a quilt measuring roughly 80"x95", I drew up this diagram. Then, to transfer from paper to actual bed quilt, I went to the extreme of pulling out a quilt top which was close to the preferred size, laid it out on the bed, and played around with placing the quilt block.

Strange to look at, for sure. But I did get my visual!!

Emma is thrilled with it. She is now looking at quilt pictures to find a picture with the kind of quilting she wants on it. I hope she selects quilting that I feel comfortable doing! 

I did more sewing than this, but I will save the other stuff for a future post. I am off to stitch this morning with the Frankfort Girls!

Happy Quilting, Friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!