Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Dealing With Scraps

Anyone who has quilted for any length of time will soon have a dilemma on her hands with regard to scraps. The situation in my quilting room has become rather a daunting one, and for several years now I have attempted to make some headway with using scraps.


My decision 3-4 years ago to cut leftovers into strips or squares of select predetermined sizes has served me well, and I continue to do this. My strips are cut into 2.5 inches, 2 inches, and 1.5 inches. When leftovers don't lend themselves to strips, then I cut squares. I mostly cut 2.5 inch squares, but also have gone as large as 6 inches and as small as 1.5 inches. Theoretically, all of these various strips and squares are separated into dedicated storage tubs or baskets. Truthfully, a lot of them are more-or-less stacked and simply corralled in a corner of my room.

Lately, I have given particular focus to cutting 2.5-inch squares, as the Frankfort Girls are exchanging these at our next gathering. We are each preparing a zip-lock gallon bag filled with squares for exchanging. So cutting has been underway.

I thought I had a pretty full bag ready to go, but I discovered that I'd sewed a lot of my squares into 4-patches, which can be seen in the photo above. I had forgotten that I'd done all those, so I'm not disappointed that I needed to cut more. Surely, there is more than enough scraps to easily fill a bag in short order.


The picture above illustrates the work of an afternoon recently. I have 3 towering stacks of 2.5-inch squares. The remaining stacks are 2-inch, 1.5-inch, and 5-inch squares. The crumbs at the top are waste. I give up if smaller than 1.5 inches square. 

My ziplock bag is getting full, and I will definitely have it stuffed to capacity by Friday. Even though it is a chore that doesn't immediately result in a block or a quilt, I do find some satisfaction in taking the time to deal with all the scraps in this way. First, I clean a space. That is simply the most satisfying feeling. It is almost freeing in a way, knowing that you've dealt with a task that has needed doing for decades.

Second, I get to revisit past projects. I can come across a fabric from years ago and recall the exact item I was making, or what was going on in my life when I used that fabric. It is remarkable the memories that some fabrics will conjure up. 

Third, if the fabric doesn't remind me of a past project, then it might remind me of a special shop-hop, fabric store, or outing. I have cut fabrics that were purchased on outings years ago when I shopped with Grandma, and more recently, purchased on vacations, or on special trips with the girlfriends.

Last, I dream up new projects to consider for using all these scraps I'm saving. I have a special fondness for scrappy quilts. The "make do" mantra of previous generations of quilters is one I hope to keep alive - remember that our quilting ancestors frequently relied solely on scraps for their quilt-making needs. How lucky are we today to have access to endless designers of top-quality fabrics for making our quilts! So many options! Think of the limitations quilters once faced. It's humbling to think about.

Wanna' see some of my recent scrap quilts? The three shown below have all been made from the scraps I've been cutting in the method described earlier. Of course these quilts have been chronicled in previous posts, but since they are a direct result of all this scrap-cutting work, we should look, right?

Scrappy Irish Chain

Spring Dreams

Scrappy 4-Patch Economy

Even though I have made some progress in my scrap-use efforts, I have a long, long way yet to go. I see many more scrappy quilts in my future, for sure.

Happy Quilting, Friends!






4 comments:

  1. Three especially beautiful scrap quilts, Jayne. I too save scraps and use baggies for organization. THere are always so many, I honestly don't understand it. I recently sewed a Courthouse Steps 60 blocks quilt with red being the main colour; I kept running out of the red but with the scrappy sides, no end in sight. And the bags seem just as full as when I started. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very curious how such a large use of scraps in a quilt still leaves us with a larger amount of scraps for another quilt! Is there some magic at work here?? ;)

      Delete
  2. Interesting! You have chosen to cut the strip sizes I cut too. My squares are generally 1.5, 2,and 2.5 inches. I LOVE scrap quilts, in fact I have a hard time sticking to 4-5 fabric quilts. It's so fun to see all the various prints and textures. Thanks for all you share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite welcome. ;) I suppose one of the reasons I insist on using these bits of leftovers is to justify spending - fabric has become too pricey to NOT use it all!

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!