Saturday, October 30, 2021

Fall/Winter Bed Pillow

Still on my quest for bed pillows to complement the fall/winter mood of the quilts on our bed, I went to work piecing a new pillow cover to reflect that fall mood. As mentioned in the last post, I got the pillow cases done in quick order, so a day devoted to piecing and quilting this pillow cover was my next agenda item.

Below is what the bed looked like when I decided that new pillows were needed. The mixture of fall quilts with spring/summer pillows just didn't please me at all. There was never a doubt that I'd make a change. The fact that I did it so quickly surprises me, however. I generally ponder such decisions much longer.

 

With the pillow cases in back finished, the throw pillow in front became my focus. It's 22 inches square and I have just one pattern for a quilt that size. I've made it twice before for this pillow form, and will likely use it for as long as this pillow form lasts, which may just be forever, since it only serves as decoration on our bed.

This is a super simple table topper design by Joanne Figuroa from about 10 years ago. It was a free down load from an online source, and I've looked repeatedly for a link to share, but none exists (too old!). I wrote about the pattern in this earlier blog post. My earlier two pillows using this pattern are also featured there.

I am still altering this pattern to suit me, as I figure I will continue using it. The original calls for all that neutral space to be made with 2.5-inch squares. I see no need for that, so I am going to mark my pattern with instructions with larger neutral cuts for a faster finish. Ah, but I digress...

The new fall-into-winter look on our bed pleases me immensely. There's just enough scrappiness yet cohesiveness to make it all work well, in my eyes, anyway.

A new look for the bedroom, and Gracie approves. *wink* And as a bonus, it's a new look that did not require hopping on Amazon to shop for new stuff, but rather, a dig through the fabric bins to make it myself. And I did it just as fast as Amazon. The pillow cases were just a couple of hours on Wednesday evening; the pillow cover took several hours on Thursday. By suppertime Thursday, all was done and pictures were snapped. 

Now, I have one more post to write regarding this little project - coming Monday or Tuesday - so come on back! And, I will be back to work on those blue Kaffe Fassett stars, too. *excited!*

Happy Quilting, Friends!






 


2 comments:

  1. I love the quilts on your bed . Would you tell me what the patterns are . Thank you . Inez Fay Hulsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Inez Fay! Thank you for your interest in my quilts! I’d be happy to tell you about them! The one spread out on the bed is called Long Road Home, and I think it is a pattern by Red Crinoline Quilts. The star quilt folded at the foot of the bed is from templates I made, but I do not know the name or where I got the pattern to trace. I refer to it as 6-pointed Star. I hand-pieced all those stars over the course of 8-10 years probably. Both quilts are hand quilted by me. I’ve written about both quilts on the blog; find the search box to assist you.

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!