Thursday, January 6, 2022

Best Books of 2021

 Since I recapped my top makes of the previous year, I decided to also recap my top reads as well. As a book lover who held on way, way too long to the notion of "I'm a reader, not a listener" of books, I have converted 100% to audio books since retiring in 2009. I can get into such a good sewing groove with a good book going alongside me. I love the multitasking aspect of it - stay engaged with a book while also making a quilt. Win-win!

Late last month, I counted all my reads for 2021 - 38 titles on my list. Of those, 3 were DNF - did not finish. So the net total for last year is 35. Considering all the weeks spent taking vacations (I never listen to a book while with DH), I am pleased with 35. For some reason, I felt as though I'd read fewer. And I did read fewer than 2020. Not concerning. A fluctuating total is to be expected, I think.

The six book represented in the collage represent my top 6 reads of 2021. Gosh, these were good books for a variety of very different reasons, by my estimation.

The Book of Lost Friends - I still am haunted by the Wingate book - so beautifully written about a topic that had never occurred to me before - how did freed slaves find their lost loved ones after the Civil War? 

The River - this is the one book I sorta' wish I'd had a physical copy of just so that I could look at the words on the pages. Heller's prose is wonderful, and had I my own copy, it'd be underlined all over the place. The plot was exceptional - again, very unique in its perspective. 

A Place Called Wisdom - my book club read this together, and what a fantastic discussion. It is a coming of age story about a boy who encounters some really diverse and interesting people on his way back to being reunited with his grandmother. Very poignant and quite engaging.

The Overstory - This is the book for my intellectual self; gosh, was it a challenge! Not so much in that it was hard to read; rather, it had such big thoughts. I sometimes felt as if my brain were incapable of pondering such intellectual notions. I am sure that if I were to read it again, I would understand it so much more clearly. Such an academic book, but I found that I connected with all the characters. It is an impressive book; one that weaves story lines together so cleverly and so subtly. I doubt I ever will reread it, but I am sure I would gain new insights were I to do so.

The Last Days of Night - The entire time I read this book, I kept thinking that it would be a fabulous movie. I later learned that it is indeed being made into a movie. That is definitely one I will see. It is about the invention of the AC and DC current. That saga is basically a feud between Thomas Edison (who won the race) and Nikolai Tesla. It was a cut-throat battle, one that is very well told in this book.

Surviving Savannah - The oft-used technique of a present-day story told alongside an historic one has become quite popular, some done more successfully than others. This one succeeded, in my opinion, and I was engaged by both story lines. The historic one wins out, though, as they so often do. I learned about an actual event that I wasn't even aware of having happened - a shipwreck off the North Carolina coast in post-Civil War era. The ship left from Savannah, GA. It obviously predates the Titanic, but the two catastrophes had definite similarities.

Have you read anything good yet in 2022? I have 3 books downloaded on my Overdrive App at the moment, yet I fear all of them will have to be renewed next month. They are: 1) Bring Up the Bodies, by Hilary Mantel, 2) These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner, and 3) The Book That Matters Most by Ann Hood. 

I am not going to get a single one done, let alone three! Vacationing is not a time for me to be reading. I will be doubling down when we get back home and I return to the quilting room.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



1 comment:

  1. What a great selection of books Jayne! Of the ones you listed The River and The Book of Lost Friends made it to my top reads lists too.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!