Sunday, January 2, 2022

Happy New Slow Sunday Stitching!

For the first Slow Sunday Stitching of 2022, I am sharing a new project I am going to tackle over the next few weeks. A new baby will be joining our family in August - my niece Abby is expecting! 

And just about the same time I heard her news, I was digging around in Grandma's sewing stuff when I came across a cross stitched baby quilt that Grandma had barely begun. It was neatly folded in the box labeled cross stitch. (A more organized person I will never know! I sure wish I'd inherited that trait from her!)

It was not in a hoop, but I found one to use in the box. I also found the pattern complete with picture, directions and floss. Thank you, Grandma! Everything I needed right there at my fingertips. 

These instructions definitely look intimidating. The printing on the chart is so very small and intricately detailed. I've never done any stitching like this before, but I'm gonna' give it a whirl. I shared the idea with Abby on Christmas Day, and she was all in. This would be something from the depths of her great-grandmother's sewing room, and her baby's great-great-grandmother! Special, right?

The quilt looks so sweet, and if I think about each individual element or section rather than the whole, large piece, I think it is entirely doable. Grandma had started on the baby blue elephant in the upper right corner, so I am picking up right where she left off. I did a bit yesterday while watching a very thrilling Rose Bowl - Buckeyes win over Utah!!

 

Grandma made lots of these quilts for her great-grandchildren. We have at least one. This kit is copyright dated 1985, and that is my Erin's birth year. I ought to check to see if she has one or not. Emma was born in '92, so I doubt we have one for her. There are several cousins born in between my girls, so this was likely intended for one of them.

The impending birth gives me a new project for slow stitching as I start this new year. I still plan to work on Lake Effect, of course. A new grand niece or nephew is not my only reason for starting this quilt, however. I have a second excuse for another hand project. This new year finds DH and I endeavoring on a first-ever month-long vacation experience. While we have taken a lot of vacations over the years, never before have we been gone for a month. Florida here we come! To keep my hands busy, I have packed Lake Effect, this baby quilt, and some EPP for variety in the vacation month.

I am linking up with Kathy's Quilts and her weekly linky party. Hope you check out the beauties a few other quilters and stitchers are working on as we embark on this new year.

And since we are leaving tomorrow for Florida, I have a ton more stuff to get done before take-off. I must get busy! No slow stitching this Sunday until the car is loaded up.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



2 comments:

  1. This is a great gift for a new baby. We had one for both of ours and used it often. We laid it on the floor when at home and carried it with us in the diaper bag if we thought we might need a place for baby to lay when visiting friends. I know parents keep babies in the car seat much more than generations past, but I think having this will encourage the parents to let the baby play on the floor a little more. Enjoy the process and the gifting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This baby quilt will be so special since it was started by the great-grandma. Sounds like you've got good projects for your downtime in Florida. Have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!