Friday, January 14, 2022

Defining "Numerous TBA Quilts"

The previous post contained my goals list for this year, and as I look forward to making those definite quilts on the list, I am dreaming about the quilts that will fall into the final goal - "numerous TBA quilts." 

I sure did leave myself a lot of leeway on that. Totally intentional! How about let's take a moment to dream about what I am considering for that goal.

Because I am becoming increasingly concerned that my stash will long outlive me, I want to make easier, classic quilts with some of the pretty - and nearly vintage - fabric that I have collected over the last 40 years. The easiest, fastest blocks are 4-patches and 9-patches. Add a plain setting block, or a snowball block, or an hourglass block and a beauty will soon result. 

Here are some examples that have recently captured my fancy. When possible, I will link and/or identify the source, to the best of my ability.

This contains an image of: Moda All-Stars - Cakewalk - A Carnival of Quilts That Begin with 10" Layer Cake Squares
Click for link.

This beautiful 2-color quilt would be very easy to make, if I have enough of the 2 fabrics. But, a quilter could use a group of similar navy fabrics with the white and still have a gorgeous result. My difficulty would be not having the neutral/white that would be required. 

This contains an image of:
Click here for link.

This second example shows how additional colors can be added so that running low on one or more would be less likely. Still predominantly 9-patches, and the construction is straightforward.

This contains an image of:
Click here for link.

Sometimes the 9-patch can be jazzed up by elongating certain parts, and adding on more parts, such as what the quilt above illustrates. This would be a wonderful quilt for some of those fabulous larger floral prints I purchased back a few decades.

This contains an image of: Missouri Star Blog – Page 3 – Inspire. Empower. Create.
Click here for link.

And this example, called Irish Change, uses several fabrics for the setting blocks. Again, if I wanted to use fabrics of which I have only minimal yardage, this is a perfect option. I would determine my color palate and pull fabrics that played well together.

Now, let's move on to how that 9-patch looks with snowball blocks. Here are two pics, one made with 2 fabrics, the other using many for a very scrappy look.

A gorgeous quilt for the collector or decorator, circa 1930s. Thin, smooth cotton batting. Large enough to use! Features quilted feathered wreaths with 1/2" grid centers, small flowers, and 1" grid quilting along the border. | eBay!
Click here for link.
This contains an image of: Charmed, I'm Sure!  Quilty Friends Are The Best....
Click here for link.

And now to look at the 9-patch paired with the hourglass block. I've made one like this and it was super-satisfyingly fast. The version shown below has jazzed up the 9-patches. So many versions are possible.

Diamond Dazzler quilt at Tamarack Shack. Pattern by Glad Creations.
Click here for link.

I dug back through my quilt pictures and found the one I made. I have since sold it, and so making another one would be perfectly sensible. This is from 2013.

My pin boards on Pinterest are chocked full of simple designs that I might find myself making time after time after time. I definitely think simplicity will be the operative word for just about all the quilts I make this year. Plow through the stash at breakneck speed!!

As I glanced through those pin boards, I found some that are even simpler than the ones I've shared here. I will post 3 or 4 that are really screaming to be made.

This contains an image of:
Click here for link.
Scrappy quilt
Click here for link.
This contains an image of:
Click here for link.

Are you just dying to get started!?! All this dreaming and planning makes me to want to scramble straight to the quilting room to dig into the stash. Get to stitchin'! 

Happy Quilting, Friends!



 


8 comments:

  1. These are wonderful examples of 9 patch quilts, you've made me want to abandon all the projects I have planned for the year and only make 9 patch quilts! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have proven again that it is quite possible to make gorgeous quilts that don't require a lot of time or cursing. That first one is on my to-make list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 9-Patch block, and its variants, is my favourite block. I am so tempted by some of those pictures. Wow! Such a beautiful parade of quilts you shared with us. Thank you. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have the pattern for the blue and white quilt pictured here (if you have one) !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! All the options starting from a simple Nine-Patch! Inspiring but quite a challenge to decide which design to go for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 9-patch quilts are in my world now too. I recently finished one, and started a second one. I love all the possibilities you have shown. What a great post and read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your opening comments rang a bell with me. After moving and downsizing 2 years ago, i unloaded many of my fabrics - all to good homes and for various purposes. But i still have much to work through!! And it seems like making quilts just produces more fabric! It’s a real challenge to make something from what you think is nothing. I’m more and more pulled to the scrappy quilts for this reason. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and these pictures of inspiration. I’m seeing several that will go on my Pinterest page to inspire me as i work through my lifelong collections. I love the 9 parch and hourglass effect. I made one of these years ago and didn't realize until i finished it that the hourglass block changed the whole appearance! Haha i see another in my futuree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that these inspire others as they do me! ❤️

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!