Friday, February 18, 2022

Antique Beauties

Earlier this week, DH and I along with another couple took a day to go antiquing. We are looking for a particular type of mirror to serve in a small remodel of our half-bath. We also just enjoy looking for things of interest to us - and that varies week to week, whim to whim.

Of note for you readers of a quilt blog, I thought this trip on this day afforded quite a nice assortment of antique quilts - most in very good condition.  I just knew you all would like to see them.

I am very likely going to be making a red and white double Irish chain this year, so when I saw this beauty, I was quick to inspect it. Just look at that gorgeous quilting. And note, in just this small section, you see how the quilters used an "almost match" for one of the squares. I just love the make-do methods of our forebears.

The tag tells the size, and the briefest, most general description. At $180, a collector of antique quilts should be thrilled this beauty. Just look at those sweet little prints - so charming!

In the same stack with the red and white Irish chain, I found this Double Wedding Ring quilt. So neatly done, and the green trim was unexpected; I think that I normally would see red or blue trim/binding. Again, I suspect that our quilt maker was using what she had. Pairing it with orange is certainly unique, don't you think?

This quilt is bigger (84" x 100") and appears to have very little wear. Click on the photo to see a closer view of all the details on the tag.

 

One last quilt in this booth was this lily quilt. I am guessing when I say that I think the vase or urn was not really beige when it was made. I believe the fabric has faded over the years leaving one to wonder what the original color likely was. My guess is green, as the stems are also faded, and typically this block would require green stems for the pink lilies.

Obviously, the dealer at this booth does not know his/her quilt blocks! The tag calls it a tulip quilt, but clearly this is a Carolina Lily. No size is listed, and I couldn't fully unfold any of these quilt due to crowded space; I have to think that it is rather large, or one pays a little more for applique quilts - or maybe a little bit of both.

In a couple of other booths, I found more gorgeous quilts. Again, unfolding them fully was impossible due to such limited space. I tried to get pictures that suggest an idea of what the entire quilt would look like.

My grandmother made a gazillion Lemoyne Star quilts and the only difference of any significance here is that it has a center circle appliqued to it. Grandma never did that. Another more minor difference is that Grandma used just two fabrics per star - a print and a matching solid. If you click on the photo, I believe you should be able to zoom in on the tag details and price.

The last quilt in my little show and tell is this Bursting Star quilt. Just imagine how gorgeous this would be fully laid out on a bed. It has such presence! I have always love the Bursting Star, and I have such admiration for those long-ago quilters who hand-pieced and hand-quilted them. What a time-consuming effort! 

That's all, folks. I did see other quilts, but for whatever reason, these were the only ones I thought to photograph. I hope someone who loves quilts and who know how to care for fragile antique textiles will purchase these. I have to believe they were special creations once upon a time. 

We did not find our mirror, but the fun is in the hunt! We shall continue our search.

Happy Quilting, Friends!











4 comments:

  1. I tried clicking to enlarge your photos but you have (optional) Image Lightbox turned on in your settings so your photos are the same size or smaller when clicked on. You certainly did see some treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wanda! Thanks for telling me about that settings issue. I had no idea. It should be fixed now!

      Delete
  2. So many interesting quilts but the star quilt is fascinating. It has seven points, not the usual six or eight. Seven! That's got to be a rarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Beth, I hadn’t even noticed that! Grandma’s we’re always either 6- or 8-pointed.

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!