Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Labels

Quilters have been told for years to always attach labels to their quilts, yet it is something I rarely do. It typically becomes just one more thing to fuss with when one is so near finishing. A way to rectify this is to always have ready-made labels on hand.

 

I asked Santa for help in this regard. When the daughters were collecting Christmas lists last November, I included a link to Ever Emblem, an Etsy shop out of Michigan. I'd seen her products sprinkled across quilting accounts I follow on Instagram, which gave me the idea that perhaps this is the route I should go. Santa came through for me, and I am super-thrilled to have these sweet little labels to incorporate into my finishes.

My first label was to be attached to the primary-color baby quilt I made earlier this month.  I've since used a second one - on French General Charm.

You can clearly see that my application method changed from the first to the second. Through trial and error, I am sure to come up with a preferred method - one that is easily doable, and not a hassle. 

I didn't really want the label stitching to show on the front, but this is really very unobtrusive, so I guess I don't mind it so much. 

On the baby quilt, I tried to incorporate the edge of the label into the binding. That was way too fussy, and the fabric of the label is glue-backed, so hand-tacking the binding through it was challenging.

The other problem encountered with this method was positioning it just right to hide what needs to be hidden, yet show what needs to be shown.

I was not entirely successful with keeping my text out of the binding; this method proved way too fussy. I don't want to have to work that hard to position a label every single time I use one.

I have plenty of quilt tops to finish on the long arm, and now I am equipped with plenty of labels to put on them. Problem solved, right? Well, we shall see. Ninety percent of problem-solving comes in the form of follow-through for me. 

This label does not address all the needs some quilt-makers ought to include - date, most especially. Maybe I can come up with a way to solve that on my next Ever Emblem order. For now, I have 98 labels at my disposal, and I plan to use them!

Happy Quilting, Friends!



 






1 comment:

  1. Just thinking out loud here. What if you sew the side of the label on the side of the quilt instead of in the corner? You will have a much smaller length to hand-sew the binding on the label and you can pen the date, vertically, at the other end of the label. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here, but then again, I'm just saying. ;^)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!