Sunday, February 27, 2022

Slow Sunday Binding

Binding a quilt means that things are getting finished around here, and I am mighty glad for it. I actually have binding for two quilts to share today. 

Yes, they are small, but never mind that.

First to be tackled was my 4-Patch Delight. I made it at the very end of last month on a whim, and now it is quilted and bound! Hallelujah! 

I also quilted my recently finished Lunch Box Social finished back in December, and that is what I am stitching today. It is just 40" square, so the binding will go quickly. 

You may notice that the same beige/white dot fabric backs both quilts. Yes. Quite a lot of my recently quilted quilts have this backing because I bought an entire bolt of 108" wide fabric to expedite the backing of quilts. I am awful about measuring and piecing backs, so this has been a wonderful alternative. 

I have used nearly the entire bolt, and will have a new backing fabric to share soon. One has been waiting on reserve in my quilting room; it has a shirting look - white with tiny black flecks. I have also ordered two more bolts - grays and taupes - very neutral and hopefully will serve a lot of different looks. They are on delayed delivery; something to do with availability. All good.

See what the other Slow Stitching gals are working on this week by clicking over to Kathy's Quilts for her weekly party. I am joining in on the fun. I see some knitting, some EPP, some quilting, more binding (like me), and embroidery. All the slow stitching fun! 

Happy next-to-last-day of February! Hope you are having a great Sunday!

Happy Quilting, Friends!




12 comments:

  1. I love your 4 Patch Delight! That polka dot backing and binding is perfect for it. Stitching the binding is a favorite job of mine, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never minded the task of hand-binding. It provides one time for quiet reflection on any number of topics.

      Delete
  2. Love the colors in your quilt. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karrin. I meant to have 2 pictures in the post (I have since added the one I forgot to include). Both are from my scraps, largely.

      Delete
  3. Pretty quilt and love your solution for the backings. I agree - those big backing are so much easier to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made nearly 100 quilt tops over the last 10-12 years. Now that I am finally feeling proficient on the long arm, I will be attempting to get them all quilted. Having the backing fabric on hand will eliminate my stalling out because I don't have a ready-made back!

      Delete
  4. Every quilt is a lovely finish, no matter the size; and your two quilts are beautiful. How fabulous you purchased a bolt of wide backing fabric. Such a great idea and as you say much easier. I too, always seem to get befuddled with my measurements when buying backing fabric. Those polka dots are perfect for your two quilts. Enjoy stitching the binding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Befuddled. Yes, that accurately describes my state when I have to piece a back. Large pieces or small, I am easily befuddled.

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely quilt. I always enjoy the process of binding a quilt. How wonderful to have an entire bolt of backing fabric. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to have a good friend with a quilting business; through her I can procure the bolts of backing at wholesale cost, rather than retail. Blessed, yes. And I do appreciate it!

      Delete
  6. Enjoy stitching the binding, Jayne. The Polka dot fabric is perfect for the backing and combine very well with the top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A big YAY for finishing those two quilts. I like the idea of buying a whole bolt for quilt backings. I will consider that when I start making more quilts. Enjoy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!