Wednesday, April 13, 2022

A Quilting Marathon?

We all know that a small sewing group or just one sewing buddy can be an inspiration to us as we go through the ebbs and flows of quilting and creating. I most definitely benefit from all the gorgeous creations made by Sharon, the Frankfort Girls and others. 

Online sources can also offer lots of inspiration. I discovered this long ago with blogs, and still follow one or two from when I first discovered blogs, way back in the early- to mid-2000s. 

Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram offer countless hours of inspiration, if a quilter finds herself in an "I don't know what to start next" phase. Warning: perusing these online sources can also waste countless hours of valuable quilting time. I speak from experience, don't you know. *sheepish grin*

Shared here before, I've shown pictures of my quilt closets. I've got so many quilt tops needing to be quilted that at my current rate I could be at the long arm machine for years before finishing them all. And, yes, I've had to extend the storage to a second closet as well as an over-the-door hook.

The quilting room closet.

 
The long arm room closet.

Hanging on the sewing room door.

With that bit of background, you now know why this next picture from Instagram captured my attention - it looks like MY closet! Click the picture to be taken to the IG post.

Screenshot of @happyquiltingmc
 

When I read the caption for the photo, I was genuinely intrigued. This is a lofty goal, and maybe - just maybe - I could do a marathon, too? 

Let me introduce you to Melissa of Happy Quilting blog and her corresponding Instagram account, happyquiltingmc. When she said she was going to do a quilting marathon, it left me considering how many marathons I'd have to complete in order to clear out these closets and hooks. 

Yes, I am sorta' taken with the idea.

Give her credit. She has backs already prepared for her tops, and bindings, too. (What an over-achiever.) I, on the other hand, have a bolt of backing fabric, plenty of stash fabric, and a good supply of battings. That, at least, provides me with a start. Maybe I could make this work. 

Hey, even if I don't complete my own marathon, I'd be getting some quilts quilted, and that would be far better than having so many quilt tops hanging in closets.

My current goal is to quilt 2 per month. I am doing great on that goal, and can see where it is not a stretch to do a quilt per week. The trick for me is my follow-through. Will I make myself increase my goal to one per week, week after week? 

Commitment. That's what it will take. 

At this point, I figure I might as well try. What on earth is there to lose? There is absolutely no downside to this. Any amount of quilted quilts is better than zero quilted quilts. I can count week 1 done, too, as I've shared it already. 

Lady of the Lakes was quilted just after discovering Melissa's marathon idea. Timely find, right? And since the quilt retreat was going to take up most of the next week, I went ahead and loaded the quilt for the second week. Loading is a big part of the process, and having this out of the way will make it easier for me to get straight to quilting when I get home from retreat.

So, my first ever marathon has begun. Not the running kind, but 26 weeks of quilting might leave me just as breathless. Can I count on you readers to be my cheerleaders??

Happy Quilting, Friends!


 

 





3 comments:

  1. You can do it! You can do it! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Go - Quilt - Finish! Goooooo....Jayne! (Enough of my lame cheerleading) Good luck! Have fun at retreat! HUGS... and stitches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh! That was great, Christine! Just what I needed!! ❤️

      Delete
  2. Maybe you could designate certain months to be quilting marathon months, in other months you could still stick to your goal of quilting 2 quilts a month. Of course you'll still be piecing so you won't really be decreasing the quilts in the closet, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!