Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Great Granny Blocks

I'm having the best time making these Great Granny Squared blocks. I am using up scraps and they go together effortlessly. It's like trying to eat just one potato chip - I cannot stop making these blocks!

When I had 9 blocks finished, I laid them out to see a sample of what the quilt will look like. I was tempted to stop at 9, but I have plenty of 2.5-inch squares, so I might as well keep going. I will see how satisfied I am when I get to 20.

I'm sounding like I am brand new to making great granny squares, but I am not. I have a history. I have made great grannies peviously. I had to go all the way back in the archives to 2012 to find the posts. Here's my very first one. Here's a post showing how I used those early granny blocks.

Now, here is my current situation - some individual block pictures for your perusal. I am using white-on-white to surround my grannies, and they, too, are scraps. It is so satisfying to use these bits I've been saving for so long.







 

Staying busy in the quilting room never seems to be a problem for me, that's for sure. Some mysterious urgency to use this fabric has motivated me to stay on task. I have listened to several audio books which helps maintain focus. I will share those titles at some point.

Added later: for ages I have had the Oh Scrap! icon on my sidebar; it just occurred to me that this post perfectly fits that linky party! So go have a look at the amazing scrappy projects from quilters around the world. It might just be another place to find some inspiration!

I hope you are having a wonderful April so far! It's a bit cool and drizzly here in these Ohio parts, but trees and shrubs are leafing out, and the birdsong is magnificent!

Happy Quilting, Friends!





4 comments:

  1. This block is on my list of quilts I want to make. I have a ton of scraps however I don't know if I'd have enough to make the whole rounds on that many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve got a ready stash of both 2.5 inch squares and strips. Often I can find a strip that can be cut down to the number of squares that I need. Not always, but I dig for it just in case.

      Delete
  2. These blocks are so lovely! This is going to be a great scrappy quilt, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am glad you linked up to Oh Scrap! These blocks are lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!