Friday, June 17, 2022

Froggy Baby Quilt

Sometimes, making a decision on what I want to make is nearly insurmountable. I can dither over making a firm decision for so long that I could have half a quilt made before making up my mind. That was the quandary I was in on Wednesday. I spent the entire morning waffling. Should I continue the 9-patch Kaffe Fassett project which I shared here? Should I start a baby quilt for a baby boy expected in a few months? Or should I explore a new idea which had come to me while on vacation - a pine tree-inspired quilt?

What to do?

By early afternoon, I was making a baby quilt. And by 9 or 10pm, the borders were attached! Let me show you.

Lately, while perusing online quilting sites, I've been seeing quilts that featured big checkerboards or plaids. The simplicity of them appeals to me. I wasn't sure about these 4 fabrics, but as it would be a baby quilt, I knew it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference. It'd be cute, for sure, whether it looked like a plaid or not.

None of these fabrics came together. The frog fabric is an end cut I picked up recently at Old Town Fabrics. They keep a supply of end cuts in a bin near their cutting table. I always check it out, and I'm always tempted; I do frequently find appealing goodies. The white is from that same bin, but purchased at a different time. The stripe is leftover from a previous baby quilt. The blue geometric is and even older leftover - sashing I'd used in a customer's t-shirt quilt.

See how nice it is to have an extensive fabric stash?? *smile*


I cut the squares 4". The stitching was super-easy. I laid the squares out on the bed, stacked them in chain-piecing fashion and had the center part put together in rather short order. 


Since I had a good amount of frog fabric remaining, I decided to add a border. The final size is 57" square, which is bigger than a lot of baby quilts I make. However, this larger size will see the babe into toddler stage, and will have some usefulness, too. I can see it being spread out on the floor for baby to lay on.

So now to load it onto the long arm machine. I'd love to quilt this up as soon as possible. Deciding on backing, but I won't dither about that for long.

It feels good to plow through a project so quickly. If I find myself languishing too long deciding what to make, it always helps to just grab the nearest thing and get busy.

Happy Quilting, Friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!