Saturday, June 18, 2022

Tree Block: An Experiment

The recent vacation out west has given me an idea for a quilt I'd never previously had any interest in making. One lasting mental image (and there are lots!) of the trip is the seemingly never ending mountainsides full of cedars and pines. Wouldn't it be a really cool way to remember those impressive vistas if I were to make a quilt equally full of cedars and pines? Yeah, it sure would.


My first (and only, so far) tree block is the one you see above; I used a Lynette Jensen pattern, frequently my go-to source for easy block patterns. This particular block came from her book, At Home With Thimbleberries; the trees are used in the four corners of a Log Cabin quilt. 

 

The block measures 10.5 inches and was super simple to make, even with a fussier than preferred tree trunk component. 

After making that one block, I photographed it and then took it through an editing app to help me envision what I might end up with should I make more of these blocks.

Four blocks; same direction.



Four blocks; pointing to center.

That simple directional change results in an entirely different look, one that totally loses the trees.

Just for fun, I ran these two 4-block versions through once more to see what would happen. It's always surprising to see these versions.

16 blocks; same direction

16 blocks; pointed inward

Both versions have their merits, wouldn't you agree? If I were to decide to go with this block version, I would lean toward keeping them going in one direction and maybe consider adding a small sashing strip between blocks. Another possibility would be to place the blocks on point. Hmmm, I will keep this in mind.

That second 16-block option has a very striking look, but it is not one I am going for with this quilt. It created quite a fine design, though.

 Ahhh, the quilt design process! I love it!

I went to Pinterest to see what a search of pine tree quilts would elicit. Generic search terms work for stuff like this. I knew there was a name for the pine tree I had envisioned, but I was coming up blank. Yesterday at our quilting group, one of the girls said it - Tree of Life. Yes! (Thanks, Sheryll!) I now could do a more specific search.

The generic search offered  up this possibility which I like a lot. It is far from the look of the block I have made, but this is more of what I had in mind when I began thinking of making a tree quilt. Click the picture to go to the Pinterest link.

If I were to stay with the more traditional Tree of Life block, or my current Thimbleberries block, I might end up with something like this one. Again, click the picture to be taken to the Pinterest link.

This is a pattern by Edyta Sitar. I would use all versions of green in my trees to more accurately imitate the mountain views.  I like this on-point version, but gosh, look at all those half-square triangles. Oof. I would definitely bring out the triangle papers.

 


I have pulled lots of green fat quarters from my stash; next I need to dig for a suitable background. I am rearing to go on this quilt!

Either of these two Pinterest versions above would suit me to imitate tree-covered mountains, such as this one from my camera roll.

This picture could have been taken in any number of states - Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, California - so many mountains, so many trees! According to the date on my picture, we were in Washington in the Cascade Mountains.

Back to the Pinterest search  - go there for any look you want! From modern to traditional, designed for any occasion or use, the variety is endless. Christmas quilts, table toppers, playfully wonky, and grizzly-bear-masculine.

Still in that design-choosing process! *smile*

Our oppressive heat wave has given way to a very pleasant day here in southern Ohio. I was actually chilly sipping coffee on the porch a bit ago. We needed this respite from the heat!

Happy Quilting, Friends!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!