Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Progress on Kaffe 9-Patches

I was going great guns making 9-patches upon my return after vacation, then I ran out of my background fabric. I had just 3 or 4 fat quarters, and I knew it was not nearly enough for the quilt I'm making. 

That simply meant I was going to have to go shopping. Such a bummer, right? 

I did the on-line type of shopping, looking for the Kaffe Fassett fabric called Aboriginal Dots in yellow. After an exhaustive search I ended up ordering one that was called ivory, not yellow, in the hopes that it was the same, and I just didn't realize it's true name.

It worked. The neutral I am using is officially considered Ivory. To me it is yellow. (I say potato; they say 'pot-ah-to.') 

I am still going to need more of this background, and will probably be ordering 2-3 more yards. This one yard will get me through all the remaining 9-patches, and into a few setting blocks.

I don't think I have actually shared the quilt I am making, so let's dispense with that now. Back in January, I pulled all my KF books out and identified 6 quilts I would consider making this year. One has already been made; you can see it here. That one was fun, and I still wanted to make at least one more. This one is a basic, traditional pattern made with the exciting, colorful fabrics of Kaffe Fassett. Very appealing.

This quilt is called Spring Double Nine Patch from the book Museum Quilts


The book's version of this quilt has a much busier background fabric, and I prefer something a bit more understated. I am glad I had a decent amount of the Aboriginal Dots; I just started cutting and sewing. No overthinking on this.

I pulled a happy variety of fabrics just before we left for vacation. These gorgeous fabrics have the fresh look of springtime, right? I knew I was on the right track. This combination plus several more that aren't seen will be perfect for this quilt. The two fabrics on the top and the bottom of this picture are pieces that are larger cuts; I am considering using them for a pieced backing. That's pretty far down the road, though. I better not get too far ahead of myself. Finishing these 9-patches is my current goal.

Hope you have had a great Tuesday! I generally try to post early in the day, but these past two days, I've been quite late. Maybe I'm still adjusting to being back home. More likely, however, I am spending more time redoing two rooms in my house; sewing and blogging have become afterthoughts of late.

All good! These things need to be done, and I am grateful for the time and ability to do them.

Happy Quilting, Friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!