Saturday, July 9, 2022

Butter-Yellow Double 9-Patch

The double 9-patch quilt I'd been working on at the end of June became a finished quilt top about a week ago. I'm just now getting around to posting pics of it.

At 96" x 80", this is quite a big quilt and drapes very nicely over the sides of this queen bed. Considering the next step, the large setting blocks ought to require some sort of special quilting, but I have no idea of what that would be. Or when it would happen. Thinking...

This quilt was one of 6 Kaffe Fassett quilts I identified back in January that I'd consider making this year. It wasn't my intent to make all six, just to know that I would make some and these were my top options. I made Ocean Ripples earlier, and now Double 9-Patch.

The original in the old Museums book has a much busier background fabric than mine. However, I wanted mine to look more subdued. I knew my pops of color would provide the pizzazz I desired, so I used this ivory aboriginal dot. The color is so subtle; I am supremely happy with it. Look at that link above to see the much more lively version in the book.

I made this calmer and more peaceful than the original for a reason: wouldn't it be a lovely granddaughter quilt? I think DD Erin would approve. Even at such a large size, the appeal of a baby snuggled up in a cuddly quilt would never be a bad idea.

The necessity of so many yards of ivory aboriginal dot meant I had to do some on-line shopping. At first, I was calling this color yellow, but I could not locate any aboriginal dot in yellow. All I could find was ivory. So, I crossed my fingers and ordered a yard from an Etsy shop. YES!! It was, in fact, ivory. How was I supposed to know? Anyway, I needed more, so from a different Etsy shop I ordered 4 yards. I'd started with some from my stash, so all told, the background is likely in the 6-yard range. 

On to the next quilt! I'm quilting one on the long arm, and I am ready to cut out strips for a red and white double Irish chain. 

Happy Quilting, Friends!





 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!