Thursday, May 18, 2023

Flitting

My brain just can't seem to maintain focus on anything lately. I seem to flit from project to project. One of these days perhaps I will settle on something. 

 In my defense, I had the dreaded virus last week, and while I wasn't terribly sick or miserable, I do notice that brain fog has lingered. While I quarantined - over a very busy Mother's Day weekend, which all happened without me! - In between naps, I spent a lot of time sitting around dreaming about all the projects I want to make. Very likely, this accounts for my inability to focus on a single project.

As I've most recently shared, I did continue working on Lake Effect, and feel pretty good about how far I've come on it. Click here to see my most recent efforts.

One of the new projects I've recently come up with is one made entirely of flying geese units. Here is the inspiration pic that got me all hyped up - it's from Prairie Quilt Company's Instagram account

 

The springtime freshness of these flying geese blocks just knocks my socks off. After pining for a quilt like this, I remembered a really old "someday" project stored in my quilting room. 

By gosh! Someday is finally here!!

Years - years and years - ago, I bought a yard of this "Foundation By the Yard" - I suppose it was on sale. I am sure I thought I'd use it "someday." Besides this one for flying geese, I have another one for economy blocks.

Yesterday, I cut out one length and began making geese. It's been awhile since I foundation pieced, so I had a bit of relearning to do. Yes, the seam ripper joined the party, but I did eventually get a nice strip of flying geese put together.

I'm still stoked about doing this, so I will attempt another length this afternoon.

Even though this was NOWHERE near my radar of "to-do" quilts, I find that this has a couple of unexpected benefits. First, using the "someday" foundation panel. Second, the geese can be made with my 2.5-inch strips from the scrap basket. Yahoo!

Flitting from project to project isn't so bad, I guess. I always seem to have several WIPs, and more than my share of UFOs. Even so, I love to look at quilts online and dream of all those beauties just waiting to be made. 

I dare not waste a minute and get back into the swing of things around here. 

For those who wondered - DH did not get the virus. We had some exciting remodeling activity going on here at the homestead, and, yes, I was able to maintain my distance from the workers. I will share that soon.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

8 comments:

  1. This looks very nice, you're going to have a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gretchen! It will end up being a table topper, most likely. There isn't enough to do a large quilt, unless I add to it. hmmm....

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry that you were ill. I really like your latest project. I am in flitting mode too lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flitting happens from time to time. I get so many ideas floating around in my head that I just can't land on anything!

      Delete
  3. Oh how fun to do the flying geese with the foundation and utilize something you purchased so long ago! They are so very pretty! I am also flitting and need to get to tidying my sewing room for my weekly sewing group tomorrow. I've been making some mini quilts in purples for my laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This flying geese project will be a mini, for sure. It will be a nice way to (hopefully!) get back to something with more focus!

      Delete
  4. I am a big time flitter. It seems to be the way I'm wired, so I go with it. Every now and then I put my head down and finish up one project in short order, but I do enjoy being able to move from one project to another, depending on what I feel like working on. This quilt is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It appears a lot of us go through flitting phases from time to time. I guess it's all just part of the process? I know what you mean about doing what you feel like doing. Just gotta' be in the mood for some things, right?

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!