Monday, May 15, 2023

Lake Effect - Making Progress

Perhaps all quilters do this: the avoidance method of problem solving. After 45+/- years of quilting, I have perfected this method.

When I run into a quilting dilemma, I just STOP working on the quilt. I have had ages-old UFOs merely because of some glitch I wasn't prepared to encounter. After a modest amount of time spent stewing over it, I pop in into a tub or bin and whisk it out of sight. 

Eventually, the problematic quilt no longer seems quite as daunting a situation as I'd thought, so I revisit, and - hopefully! - finish the quilt.

This accounts for the lengthy time-out I've taken on Lake Effect. That snafu with the incorrect hexies really twisted me in knots, so I avoided altogether.

I finished adding rows around the center medallion and decided it needed to be laid out on the floor for a complete, full-on assessment of progress. 

It looks as though I am going to need further hexies, wouldn't you say? 

Or, I suppose an alternate option is use narrower borders. Then, rather than make more hexies, I would remove hexies from one area and reattach where needed. 

And the hexie situation is just one dilemma I am working out. The other dilemma - and it seems like a biggie, but maybe it isn't - is getting that outer applique border lined up so that the vines meet on all the corners.

Fortunately, I am not feeling the need to put this in hiding again. I will continue to address this quilt's issues and make attempts at systematically working through them. 

My plan at present: work from the center out. The next step is to trim and press seam allowances on the applique borders and begin stitching them to the inner section. When I come to corners, I will fiddle around with matching vines, leaves and berries as best I can. Then when the outer borders are completed to my satisfaction, I will move on to dealing with the outer hexies.

The quilt pattern calls for this quilt to finish at 66.5" x 73.5" - I don't have to follow that, though, right?

Happy Quilting, Friends!



3 comments:

  1. You can make your Lake Effect any size you want to! I often change patterns to my way. Hope today is a good day for stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely can change the size or even the overall design so that it makes you smile. The applique is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is looking gorgeous! Just take one step at a time and I know that you will land on something that you are happy with.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!