Friday, May 12, 2023

Hello, Old Friend

After many, many months of inactivity, Lake Effect has once again come out of storage!

I bought the pattern and fabric for Lake Effect way back in 2017. It was then that I also began glue-basting the hexies. In about October 2017, I dubbed this quilt a '10-year project.' 

And as things stand today in 2023, I would say I'm gonna' need every one of those 10 years!

This current surge of attention has been devoted to adding rows around the center panel. When I was over 2-years into making this quilt, I realized a HUGE mistake I'd made. I was using smaller hexies than the pattern called for. Golly, that amounts to needing a lot more hexies. 

The timing of all this works out well; because I've so recently been working on Grandmother's Flower Garden hexies, I am a lot faster at attaching these than I used to be. Adding entire rows is not nearly the daunting task I'd been fearing. Hah! A silver lining!

This quilt will have lived a whole life just in the making at the rate I'm going! But you know what!? I am still going on it, and an occasional break from it seems to rejuvenate me into big spurts of energy. Ten years. Yessireee, I believe I can do it.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see Lake Effect in progress again, she's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm NOT anonymous! Forgot to toggle one button! Geesh...

      Delete
  2. How gorgeous Lake Effect is. Such pretty fabrics. It must be joyful to work on this quilt each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! I need the encouragement you provide!

      Delete
  3. This is such a pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathie! Knowing it will look great - eventually - keeps me going!

      Delete
  4. It looks like you could call it quits and have a beautiful wallhanging!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!